TechSpot

AGP problem, 256 Mb card only being seen as 128

By vndgmachine
Mar 31, 2005
  1. I am running a Radeon 9800 Pro, on an FIC AD11 motherboard. In the adapter properties for the Radeon, it says the card is 128 MB although it's actually 256. During most games, I notice a strange effect where textures have a transparent checkerboard overlaid on them. When I installed the game Second Life, the setup informed me that there was a problem with the AGP controller. I downloaded the most recent drivers for the AMD 761-AGP controller, but the problem was not fixed. Any ideas?

2. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 593

Try just reinstalling the card and see if that works.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Check BIOS to see if 256MB is allocated for video.

4. dgower2

dgower2 TS Maniac Posts: 340

You Have a Bad Video Card, IMO

My guess is that your card is bad. The AGP Aperature memory setting in the BIOS should not cause those problems, nor should old drivers.

5. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

hmmm

If you have the lastest drivers, and the DirectX 9.0c then i would try a differnt card, as the 9800 might be bad.

Sean

BTW- Where did you get the drivers from.

6. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

considering the board i'd say it's more likely that the problem is with your board than your video card.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.