AGP running at 1x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svoboda

My friend just upgraded his mobo to the ASUS a7n8x deluxe, and later when he gets more money he will upgrade the processor and memory. He has a 1600+ athlon xp and 2x256 sticks of 2100 ddr, also a geforce 4 ti4200. Before the mobo upgrade i ran 3dmark 2001 on his computer and he got scores of over 10,000. However, now i run it and he only gets around 6,000

in 3d mark online result browswer it has this line
AGP Rates (Current/Available) 1x / 1x 2x 4x , where as others have 4x/1x 2x 4x. so is his computer running at 1x agp?

He has the latest bios flash, and i was wondering if there was in any way in windows to tell what the agp was set at. aslo any way to set it to 4x?

Thanks in advance...

u should be running at 8x not 1x what driver version is he using? also the 2100 ddr is prolly slowing down ur system. why is he using a two year old benchmark utility? nvidia prolly took their 'optimizations' (for 2001) out of their newer drivers L0L

i installed the stuff for him, so i used 2001 because he knew what he had been getting before it. His video card is an old 4200 and doesn't support agp 8x, but it still should run at 4x, and since in 3dmark it said it was at 1x it would seem to explain the nearly 50% loss in performance....

the main thing i want to know is how to get it to go at 4x, or if therer is a way to verify if 3d mark might be wrong....

i would try powerstrip it is a very useful app. after installing the shareware version (30 days) run powerstrip initial setup then go to its icon right-click go to options > adapter information.

ok lol i just edited out all of that post because i figured out how to change the agp to 4x... now i'm going to rerun 3dmark

however i was rooting around in right clikc desktop >properties>settings>advanced> and it says

bus:agp (PCI mode)
can anyone else with a geforce confirm that their's says that? or could that be my problem?

Sorry to rain on the parade, but running a Ti4200 AGP1x doesn't account for that type of performance loss....you're talking 5-10% MAX difference with AGP1x vs AGP8x

And having a PCI to AGP bus is perfectly normal

hmm k well then any ideas why the perforamnce would drop that much? that seems to be the only thing running slow... would the agp bus running at 1/2 speed make that much of a difference? heh cuz i think there is something wrong with it...

i ran 3dmark 2003, and i got 1346 marks on video, and 305 marks on CPU. When i compared this to almost identical systems, they were very close, only differing by like 10-20 marks. So in 3dmark03 nothing wrong seems to show up.

so i now that nothing is really wrong with teh computer, but i was wondering, dx9.0b is loaded on to the box, and the old benchmarks were with dx8.1 could this make a differnce since d3m2001 isnt optimized for dx9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back