AGP slot not activated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i need help. I purchased two graphic cards ATI aiw 9600 pro and a nvidia 5200fx and niether seen to work. I have a IBM netvista 8315 and my chipset is intel 2560 rev. 1. I have a onboard video intel 82845g.....yea intel extreme graphics isnt so extreme. My problem is windows is not recognizing my AGP slot like its not there! Ive looked for all sorts of things like jumpers on my mobo and options in my bios to enable AGP and disable onboard but i have no luck. i have phoenix bios 4.0 version 6.0.
please if you can help my give me a hand so i can rejoice...lol
p.s. oh if there I need to update chipset please give me link cause i tried that too

Go to your bios and change it from onboard video to agp ...........Simple as that. :) Its option in your bios. Its there keep lookin.

Was there a plug in the AGP slot before you installed your new video card? If the slot was filled with a blocking plug then the AGP is disabled at the chipset level. You can not install an AGP video adapter to your system.

Well there was only a PCI and intergrated option and there was no plug stuck in the AGP s;ot it was only a brown covering on it but i removed it a long time ago....could it be that i must update my bios?

Brown covering?

I don't know how the block plugs are supposed to look for IBM. But their manuals clearly state that the boards that have AGP ports covered have it disabled.

You can try BIOS update of course.

OK just in case......

I updated bios still i havent fix the problem....but someone said something about the AGP slot being "Disabled on the chipset level" if this is true is there any way i can enable it on the chipset level?

No.

As IBM says:
Some system boards ship with the AGP slot disabled and plugged. These slots have been disabled at the chipset level and do not work. The plugs should not be removed.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have run into the same problem with my 8315. Is there nothing that can be done to the motherborad to enable the AGP slot? I know IBM disabled these slots on thier "economy" systems but they are enabled on the higher end models so there must be a way. I have access to tons of newer AGP video cards but the only PCI card I have laying around is one from 1997. I'm cheap so I'd prefer just to use one of the AGP cards lying around but if I have to shell out the dough for a crappy PCI card I guess I'm just gonna have to accept that. Has anyone had sucess enabling this port on thier IBM?

"These ports have been disabled at the chipset level"

In my opinion this means either tracks missing/cut on the motherboard or AGP being physically disabled inside the northbridge. In any case, there is nothing a mortal can do.

That's kinda what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation though. I think I may replace the whole system board with one that has an AGP port enabled. I can get a faster motherboard than what I have now and use use an AGP card with it rather than getting an old PCI graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back