Agp Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMB

Well I'm using a Ati radeon 9250 128mb video card.. The thing is everytime i use the ati catalyst to change the agp speed to 8x or 4x it asks to reboot, so i reboot but the agp speed returns to 0x.. I've checked the bios for options that is related to agp but there is no options.. I've searched the Net for similar problems but there arent any with the same Video Card..

what might be the problem?

Quite true, The driver on the CD doesnt work, i had to download a driver back then to make the Video card work, but still no Agp settings in bios.. and my motherboard does support 8x and 4x

Hi,

CCT may not be around at the moment, so just hang on there and wait until he comes back to reply you. Don't fret, and no need to bump your thread until at least 24 hours after the last reply.

Regards,
momok =)

lol, impatient bugger.

RMB, have you checked on asrocks website for bios updates to your mobo that pertain to AGP issues?
If not, don't hang around waiting for others to do it for you mate, go searching.

You could always ring them as well, whilst your waiting for a reply.

Even though you posted your mobo model, you haven't posted the bios version, so we can't do much more to help without that.

edit: bummer! asrock site aint too helpful, most of it is in chinese (or similar)

I hate updating Bios, ( PLus i dont got any floppy disks atm) and if i screw up, dead mobo >.>

do you guys know any ways on how to update without floppy disk ?

Depends on the age of the bios/mobo.
You can do it from a bootable usb flash drive, but it can be problematic.
Newer mobo's have software programs that update the bios from windows.
You really need to try and find your bios version 1st though.
Just go into the bios, it should tell you on the main screen, or even on the post startup screen, if you're quick enough to capture it.

To be honest mate, if its that problematic, buy a new mobo. You could get a really cheap AGP one for next to nothing. You using intel or AMD?
Full ATX or micro?

intel and microatx.. all info about my mobo is here
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4i45GV R5.0&s=

and yes i read the different ways on how to update bios, all still sound so damn scary.. >.> dont want to fail..

Imma check my bios version..

its say my bios version is pviv45gv p3.31 ..

its say my bios version is pviv45gv p3.31 .. and on the startup it only say bios version 3.00

Ok, so your mobo has onboard graphics. Has that been disabled in the bios in order for the AGP adaptor to work?
Exactly what intel cpu are you using? (obviously a 478 pin)

Just looked at the AGP compatibility list. the 9250 aint on there bud! Now i'm not gonna say it definitely won't work, but it gives you possible point of failure.
There's nothing listed in the bios updates that would fix your problem.
Do youhave the latest AGP drivers installed? (not the catalyst ones, but the mobo chipset ones date 4/29/2003) Jesus, thats one old mobo.

Well yeah, since im using it right now and works quite fine except that the agp 8x doesnt work >.>

I dont know if this is the intel cpu you mean

pentium(R)4 CPU 2.00GHz

It works fine even if its not recommended >.> im even using dual monitors..

and about the 4/29/03 thing, i just downloaded and installed it..

Your cpu is slow, but fine RMB.
May sound like a daft question mate, but its definitely using the 9250 adaptor and not the onboard one? (suppose it is if your tiling to 2 monitors, from the dual vga or dvi output on the 9250?)

Even if it is, to be sure that you've disabled the onboard one.
Disabled it in Device Manager
Change the primary adaptor in the bios to AGP.
There may also be a jumper on the mobo that disables the onboard permanently.
Some of this 'may' be interferring with you setting your AGP speed on your 9250.

Of course, it could still be down to your card not being FULLY supported!

its using the Dvi Output from the 9250 adaptor ( and im sure)

And I have disabled the Onboard one..

Btw, whats the Intel (R) Graphics Controller for ?

And the options for what i remember on primary adaptor is PCI/AGI and one more i think But its not agp..

RMB said:
its using the Dvi Output from the 9250 adaptor ( and im sure)

And I have disabled the Onboard one..

Btw, whats the Intel (R) Graphics Controller for ?

And the options for what i remember on primary adaptor is PCI/AGI and one more i think But its not agp..

Thats your chipset drivers.

Never heard of AGI (?)
Anyway the manual says that the mobo will autoswitch from onboard to a detected AGP add-on card. Hmmmm...

I've heard of it, I've google'd it before ..

So in device manager should i enable this Intel Graphics controller ( Found In Display adapter) ?? I dont know if it should be enabled or disabled..

And Yes, I can see my display adaptors radeon 9250 (which is enabled)

Did you maually disable it yourself? Its probably the onboard one, so its fine to be disabled.

I can't really find anything relating to your problem mate, other than contacting asrock about it, sorry.

What you will find is a slew of historical problems with the 9250 across the board. Maybe you just have a duff one (?)
Do you not have another AGP card you could try? or borrow one?

Yeah, I have found other people that can't make Agp work, and its true that the radeon 9250 drivers in the cd doesnt work.. and they said by downloading one from gigabyte it would help.. But i got mine from Ati, can't see the difference.. besides i dont know which is the driver here
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1254

and i cant see any difference from them than the one in ati..

I do have a geforce 4 mx440, But i believe it is broken..

BTW, would it affect any graphics performance if im using directX 9.0 even if it is not supported.. says it only supports dx8.0

Um, in case I missed it - the card IS in the AGI slot (not one of the PCI slots)?

And, set the AGP aperture to 128.

:)

edit: 32 bit data transfer - ON also

What settings does your ATI card have when you look at them? Is there a setting(s) to allow processes to determine 4x, 8x, etc which you can override?

Have you tried a circa 2003 AGP driver versus newer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back