AGP w/ PCI Can They work together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently built my first computer with some spare parts i had which included a nVidia geForce 5500 256meg PCI. My friend who recommended the card didnt know any better and told me to get PCI over AGP. While setting up my new Machine i noticed in the AMBIOS Setup that there was an Option of setting your AGP over your PCI or Vice - Versa. This gave me the idea of matching the PCI 256meg with a AGP 256meg Video Card. I was wondering how well the two work together? So will one card the Primary do all the work while the non primary just idles?

i have a friend who runs 5 monitors with 5 different video cards, 1 is agp and the rest are pci....so if you wanted to run just 1 monitor the card that you plugged the monitor into would do ALL the work while the other just sat there but if you wanted to run multiple monitors then you may benefit from this setup, but my recommendation is just run 1 graphics card (agp will give u better preformance)

wiscountryboy said:
i have a friend who runs 5 monitors with 5 different video cards, 1 is agp and the rest are pci....so if you wanted to run just 1 monitor the card that you plugged the monitor into would do ALL the work while the other just sat there but if you wanted to run multiple monitors then you may benefit from this setup, but my recommendation is just run 1 graphics card (agp will give u better preformance)
What the hell? Does that actually work?

That makes sense since the only search engine results i came up with were in regards to dual monitor sort of information. why then is agp so much cheaper then pci? is it truely that much better and for a follow up question will a 256meg agp do more then a 256 meg PCI? seems funny that a higher end more modern device would cost less. And i assume PCI-E has AGP squashed already aswell. For some reason i saw that lonely AGP sitting around and always thought it was an old school remenant of systems past.

the reason that agp is cheaper than pci is that more of the customer base is buyin agp simply because of the performance difference, same goes for pci-e....also to answer ur question any agp video card will beat a pci video card if the 2 are comparable....and on the multiple video card/multiple monitor setup...ive never done it ive only seen it done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back