AGPx8 in a AGPx4 Mother Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
Thinking of getting a new graphics card to breathe new life into my computer.

The ones I've seen use AGPx8 but my motherboard is old and only supports AGPx4. Will this work?

Also they mostly seem to use DDR2 RAM and my computer only uses DDR. I know this is an issue when it comes to RAM as it wont fit/work but would it not be a problem on a graphics card?

Thanks
Passcal

the ram on the video card will have nothing to do with the ram in the system, u could use a video card with DDR3 and it would work. although it would lag because u're processor slowed it.

Eddy Rassy said:
AGPx8 will not work in AGPx4 slot they have different PIN configuration (pin # 3)

Incorrect, why do you think the 8X cards are also 4X cards. Radeon 9200 AGP 8X/4X.

ShipMaster said:
Incorrect, why do you think the 8X cards are also 4X cards. Radeon 9200 AGP 8X/4X.

Read my post that you quoted. I did not say the 8x cards are the also 4x cards. I said the pin configuration is not the same

You may have a card that accepts both and that is good for you.

see the article from WWW.XFXFORCE.COM titled:
XFX ARTICLE: AGP 8X vs 4X
How To Distinguish

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic9561.html
Nodsu said:
AGP 3.0 spec says it is compatible with AGP 2.0. An AGP 8x motherboard must support AGP 4x video cards and an AGP 8x vid card must suppot AGP 4x motherboards.

If anyone makes a part supporting only 8x or not working at 4x then it is non standard. Also, the spec allows univrsal devices that support all speeds. So if you can't find a compatible mobo/vid card, blame the manufacturers, not the standard.

http://www.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/Spec_1_0_final_Sep10.pdf
See page 39

Eddy Rassy said:
Read my post that you quoted. I did not say the 8x cards are the also 4x cards. I said the pin configuration is not the same

You may have a card that accepts both and that is good for you.

You also said that an 8X card will not work in a 4X motherboard. I countered this by saying 8X cards can also run at 4X in a 4X motherboard.

hold one there, my current set-up is a 4x agp slot, but im running a 8x agp card in it, it just limits the card to 4x and thats about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back