AIM wont load. please help.

By brando29
Sep 8, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whenever i click on aim on my desktop it pops up and then goes away it wont let me sign in or anything. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling getting an older verison, a newer verison and nothing works. idk what else to do. I use a laptop with windows vista. AIM worked when i connected from my house but then i moved into college and it wont work. please help.
  2. fastco

fastco Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,511

Well you can uninstall AIM, install and run the registry cleaner in Ccleaner found HERE,. If you want to dive in and uninstall it manually:
    Delete AIM registry entries.
    To remove the registry files, open Registry Editor by running the Regedit command and then delete the entries given below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\AppPaths\aim.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\MIME\Database\Cont entType\application/x-aim
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\.aim
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\aimfile
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\.blt
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\AOLInstantMessenge r.ConfigFile
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\AIM.protocol
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\AIM.protocol.1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{BAEB32D0-73 2D-11d2-8BF4-0060B0A4A9EA}
    HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\AmericaOnline

After completely uninstalling AIM download and install a fresh copy of the file. Let us know how it goes?!
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.