TechSpot

Alien message box pops up while browsing the web

By Vinodkumar
Dec 13, 2005
  1. Hi friends

Recently, when I was browsing the web a small message window appeared suddenly with the name "Messenger Service" in the title bar. It contained the following matter:

"Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on <date> <time>

STOP!WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

Windows has found 35 CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS!
    To fix the errors please do the following:

1.Download Registry Repair from www.fixms.com.
    2.Install Registry Repair.
    3.Run Registry Repair.
    4.Reboot your computer.

FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION!"

I suspect that this is either an adware/spyware or a virus. However, I didn't try to open the web page mentioned in the message. I am afraid of viruses!

I got similar messages again. The contents of them were slightly different,but the form was the same. Moreover, all of the message windows were titled alike.

How can I get rid of this? Is it possible to remove it by editing the registry so that I don't need to install a spyware remover program?

Yours

Vinod

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

sounds like yuo are running an unpatched XP system this "messenger" exploit is over ayear old. it was fixed with SP2. there are utilities that will disable the messenger service. ( which has nothing to do with msn messenger)

here is a link to Steve Gibsons " shoot the messenger" utility.

http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

You don't need to download any 3rd party utility, you can simply right click on my computer and choose manage. Once there cilck on services. Then find Messenger and choose disable and stop. That should do it.

4. Vinodkumar

Vinodkumar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

It's not an XP. It is Win 2k Pro with SP4.

Vinod

5. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

any OS based on the NT kernel (Win 2000 and XP) is vunerable to this exploit. you can dpwnload the utility " shoot the messenger" or do as poertner_1274 suggested. either way should resolve the problem

6. francis_niceguy

francis_niceguy TS Rookie

I had the same problem with my windows 2000, and thanks to you for helping me fixing it!

I downloaded the utility and everything is AAAAAAAALL right NOW!

By the way, what is the function of the "messenger service", and how was it
    activated in order to receive such an annoying message?

Thanks again "ISS" for your help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.