Alienware Alpha pre-orders go live, will bring console-like PC gaming to living rooms by November

Jos

Staff

After making an appearance at E3 2014, Alienware’s Alpha small from factor gaming PC is now up for pre-order at $550 with shipments due in November. The device was originally announced as part of the initial Steam Machines lineup, but after Valve postponed the initiative to further polish its software and controller, Alienware forged ahead with its own solution.

Instead of Steam OS, the Alpha runs Windows 8.1 with a custom user interface designed to deliver a very console-like experience -- but you can still switch to desktop mode. Alienware is also bundling one Xbox 360 wireless gamepad and dongle with each Alpha to make up for the delayed Steam Controller.

alienware alpha steam

The company didn’t just tack on a new interface and called it a day. While at the end of the day Windows is running things in the background, you don’t even have to see it unless you want to. Everything you typically do when setting up a new computer can be done through its couch-friendly UI, and Windows services that aren’t necessary for gaming are automatically deactivated when in Console Mode so your gaming sessions are never disrupted.

The Alpha keeps Windows and graphics drivers updated automatically, though you can adjust those settings, and you can also plug in a mouse and keyboard at any time and run the Alpha as a standard Windows 8.1 desktop.

alienware alpha steam

As for downloading and actually playing games, the Alpha still relies on Steam Big Picture Mode -- a shortcut to Valve’s gaming platform sits front and center. And since you’re running Windows, you can always switch to Desktop Mode and run any game outside of Steam or stream a movie off Netflix.

In terms of hardware the base configuration includes an Intel Core i3 processor, 4GB of RAM, 500GB of storage, and a custom Nvidia-based graphics card with 2GB of dedicated memory. You’re not getting anything that will rival en enthusiast-grade gaming machine -- it’s more about making PC gaming accessible in a frustration-free package for anyone. 

At $550 with an HDMI cable, Xbox 360 wireless controller and dongle, plus 2 free games it’s not a bad deal either. Alienware says the Alpha can run games like Dark Souls II and both Metro Redux and Dying Light smoothly with high quality settings and anti-aliasing at 1080p.

Permalink to story.

"it’s more about making PC gaming accessible in a frustration-free package for anyone."

No pun intended but that's going to be interesting as hell. For example, even with Steam games and a well put together rig you are still going to run into driver issues/random glitches and connectivity/peripheral issues. Maybe I am just being my normal doushy critical self but even the best, most experienced riggers deal with the occasional issue.
If I had time to think I could brainstorm countless more examples; and Puh-lease don't get me wrong I am all for the idea of giving some a hassle-free desktop gaming experience but even with Nvidia based solutions and a set environment it still seems quite worrisome.

Or maybe I am totally off base and living in the past? Probably.

I guess it's just too much to ask for people to hold their piss and wait for the real thing. I wanna know the name of the ***** behind this cerebral misconception! What the hell are they thinking? Alienware introduced, THE STEAM MACHINE... only not. ROFLMAO!

I played one at ComicCon. The game system works. But do I need it? I wasn't able to answer that.

Valve is wasting their time with SteamOS. This is what should of been done at least 5 years ago already. Alienware IS a name console gamers should know, unlike... linux and some funky controller.

Well it seems to me a good idea, it could be a very attractive device for people who doesn't know much about computers, but still like pc games, and I know that kind of people. I could even buy one for myself and put it in the living room next to my TV, I even think this device a better than a Steam machines who only comes with Steam OS, for example, what if I want to play FIFA 15 with my friends but I only bound to Steam games? No matter what, you'll need windows running in order to enjoy the whole of the pc gaming world.

That's pretty cool, almost for the price of a console a fully functional small factor budget gaming PC with Windows that can be used as a console. Though I am not interested it is still an appealing product.

the Alpha runs Windows 8.1 with a custom user interface designed to deliver a very console-like experience -- but you can still switch to desktop mode. Alienware is also bundling one Xbox 360 wireless gamepad and dongle with each Alpha to make up for the delayed Steam Controller.
At $550 with an HDMI cable, Xbox 360 wireless controller and dongle, plus 2 free games it’s not a bad deal either. Alienware says the Alpha can run games like Dark Souls II and both Metro Redux and Dying Light smoothly with high quality settings and anti-aliasing at 1080p.
nice price point... also, is this how windows 9 will behave (touch-mode vs gaming ui vs 'desktop mode')?

Is there any software available that uses PC as a console running all of my games independent of steam or anything ?

I like this alienware because its new & different. You basically get a gaming console & desktop features for internet browsing & online gaming. They said they allready have 400 games out , wow they are pushing games out like its nothing. He said some people prefer keyboard over game controller , yeah right. But yeah , its not bad for the price , considering everything u get. Also I like how it looks..... only one problem , good luck at going up against ps4

I don't get it. I'm a PC gamer. Sorry I am not a console gamer. Never have been and never will be. I despise console controllers. I'm baffled why this system and the potential steam machine are using controllers. You know I can still use a keyboard and louse in my living room just fine.

I totally agree with you on this...and it's price is probably going to be equivalent to my i7 (South Africa has a crappy reputation for adding a couple of thousand rand to the RRP, just because they can!)

Back