Alienware ALX, won it in raffle, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbieler47

I won this Auroura ALX in a contest and now that I have it, I am at a loss as to what it is good for.It seems to run nicely, but what is the big deal why are there two video cards? I only have one monitor
4 gigs of ram, can only use two.Any thoughts on what games or that stuff are good, I'm new to all of this, but it is starting to be fun.

not a joke ALX

Seriously, not a joke, #121 of 200 jan 06
and it was $6,749.67 with monitor and shipping
I guess now I will have to get into computers seriously, and figure out what all this is about. I think it looks pretty neat, but then I drive a Mercury.

If you are not into computer gaming, you may want to seriously consider selling that computer. It is a special system with parts that will ONLY get used by people who play the latest and greatest games.

With the money you get after selling it, you could buy yourself an AMAZING home computer for yourself, and have a couple thousand dollars left over to play with.

But.... if you play games.... that system would be a lot of fun!

DonNagual said:
If you are not into computer gaming, you may want to seriously consider selling that computer. It is a special system with parts that will ONLY get used by people who play the latest and greatest games.

With the money you get after selling it, you could buy yourself an AMAZING home computer for yourself, and have a couple thousand dollars left over to play with.

But.... if you play games.... that system would be a lot of fun!
Now I understand what this thing is. I always wanted to get into games, I guess now I can buy any game I want and be able to run it
Thank you for your help

RUN IT????

No.

My computer RUNS any game very well, and is considered a high end computer and costs about a third the price of yours.

Your computer is insane.

You have to understand. You could tell your friends you have the fastest gaming computer in the world right now. Yes.... it is THAT fast. Boys wet their bed thinking about it :hotbounce

You winning this makes me angry,
for soooo so so long i have wanted a computer like that, and you get it and you dont even know what is, or seem to care about it, How can you apreciate something like that?

Alx

HughJass said:
You winning this makes me angry,
for soooo so so long i have wanted a computer like that, and you get it and you dont even know what is, or seem to care about it, How can you apreciate something like that?
I have been living in my car for the last three years, I have a terminal illness, Now I live with my 80 year old mother. Winning this computer is appreciated more than you will ever know.
It wasn't that long ago that I had a 386 dx25 and win 3.1, 64 megs of ram and vga, and 10 meg hard drive, this ALX seems to be a little faster.
Sorry for the rant

DonNagual said:
RUN IT????

No.

My computer RUNS any game very well, and is considered a high end computer and costs about a third the price of yours.

Your computer is insane.

You have to understand. You could tell your friends you have the fastest gaming computer in the world right now. Yes.... it is THAT fast. Boys wet their bed thinking about it :hotbounce

He knows what he's saying..... um ua .. .. .. This is basically the best comp you can buy. Little boys like me would kill someone with out a guilt for one of these. What you have is a Gamer's dream litterly we have dreams on these kinda things. I'm pretty sure, yea I'm sure it's called a nocturnal emission. Ok you don't even have the slightest idea at this if your being real about it, then you will soon see why it's so great. Now if your pulling evenyones chane (ripping it out of steel reinforcement hard you just another that is a *****( defeintion in lameness trems:a female dog)

No kidding What I said is real. I have been having the time of my life ever since I got this computer, Had it a month and now, finally I am using it to play games on it. Now I look for tests and benchmarks to run on this ALX just to see what it can do, like getting a Ferrari I guess, now it's time to take it out for a spin.
If I had known this was so much fun, I would have bought one a long time ago
Of course now that I have this one it will only be tops for about another week, if that. New stuff is always evolving
Not to date myself too much but I do still have a box of 360kb 5 1/4 floppies formatted for my "B" drive

first you said that you were living out of your car..then you said if you would of known about this computer, you would of laid out 7000$ for it. also you say you dont even know the purpose of 2 video cards, then your talking about how you were benchmarking...this sounds like b.s to me, but thats just me

I now live with my mother, my father died and left me some money last year, of course this is just personal stuff. I really don't know why one would want two video processors, two CPUs sound like a better idea. Process all the stuff at once. I never treated my computer as anything but a tool to solve problems with, not as an ersatz Electronic Nascar Box. Now, in the past month I have been made aware of a whole 'nother world out there, one that I really didn't know existed. If you won a Ferrari, how long would it take you until you tested it's limits? It is the same with me. Reading all the posts on the forum, I have witnessed many people posting their benchmarks, I only started doing this two days ago, when I downloaded my first program 3Dmark03.Ran it on the computer and compared my results with those posted on the forum.
I am not computer illiterate, I have been working with computers for many years, my first was an altair 880, long time ago
I am sorry all this sounds like B.S. to you, such is not the case

I have to say I'm a bit skeptical as well, for fear of being duped, I shall reserve the jealous accolades untill I see photographic proof with visual documentation. If it is legit, I must say you're a lucky sum beech! :grinthumb

Will this help?

attached picture of computer with my nameplate, same name almost as my screen name

Attachments

• alx1.jpg
    alx1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 28
fbieler47 said:
I really don't know why one would want two video processors, two CPUs sound like a better idea. Process all the stuff at once.
That system does indeed have dual-processors.. well, at least effective dual CPU's.

It has a dual-core AMD CPU, so the single CPU chip has two CPU cores that operate as 2 CPU's.

As far as 2-videocards goes, this is of the utmost importance when playing games at higher resolution with Antialiasing. If you're unfamiliar with Antialiasing- this allows a game to sample pixels in the games multiple times and provide an averaged/smoother resultant pixel color so as computer graphics do not have that pixelated/rough look to them. With multiple videocards, this allows you to bump-up antialiasing to higher sample rates making games look much, much smoother and better.

Try enabling AA in games or in the video drivers and compare with it off. You'll see a tremendous difference in image quality and edge-smoothness in games. It does have a major toll in performance on a single card, but multiple cards reduces the hit allowing for higher sample rates... which means much, much smoother and better looking graphics at still playable framerates.

Enjoy the new system! From what you've stated here it sound like you really deserve it. Pick up some new games for it- like FEAR, Far Cry and Call of Duty 2 and crank those settings to MAX. :)

Thanks for the 'evidence'. I must congratulate you on a most awesome windfall! I envy and bow down to ALX the mighty...If you do play F.E.A.R., keep a box of wipes handy, cause you WILL s**t yourself! hahah! ;)

If you are serious this is crazy. You'd better get into pc gaming quickly so that you realize how great this computer is before better stuff comes out. I have dreams about the fx-60.

What are the graphics cards in it?

I understand the doubt, I recall about ten years I was in a chat room with two people that owned 2 Ferraris, A Porsche, Lambo, and a Cessna 310g. I had a little trouble digesting that, especially since their profile showed they weren't old enough to drive.....lol
I played F.E.A.R. most of the day today, and it has been a wonderful experience. I ordered a ton of games in the last couple of days, and when I am not trying to fix my registry, and resolve memory issues, I play as much as I can.I wish I had the power of means to give an ALX to everyone, just so they could feel the way I feel.
Thank you for your insight.

This will probably annoy lots more people, but the computer came with $3,000 worth of software loaded in it. I've not tried Flash 8 yet, I'm used to doing little animation and some web stuff with Flash 4mx. Some Web with Dreamweaver, mostly playing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back