TechSpot

All Desktop Icons are Gone?

By Mirob
Aug 1, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi people,
    I wanted to cheak out my new Radeon 9200 I bought for a system the just died, so I uninstalled the drivers for my 9600se and put it in. It worked quite well as I used it on a few games for a few days.

I then uninstalled the drivers for it and put the 9600se back in, installed cat 5.6, and after restart is was fine for a minute and then the video went awefull bad. I manage to restart useing the keyboard into safe mode and tryed to unistall everything ATi, than I restarted and uninstaled everything that in safe mode I couldn't. Rebooted and reinstalled cat 5.6.

Now my desktop is empty--no icons. I can explore to it and they are there. What?

Anyone have a clue what went wrong or how to fix it? I don't realy want to do a complete reinstall of Xp if I don't have too. I already did a repair install that did not help.

Mike.
  2. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

If you drag a new shortcut to your desktop, does it disappear?

Check that you dont have the icons hidden.
    Right click your desktop -> Select "Arrange Icons By"
    Verify that the option to "Show Desktop Icons" is checked.
  3. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 841

Yes--I't there realy, I mean I can explore to it. Can't see it. It dissapeirs on the desktop, kinda like a black hole. Draged three My Computers there and see zero. At least I have the taskbar.
  4. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 841

Wow, thanks that was it! Saved all my sons game saves too.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.