All drives detect in BIOS Can't see in XP setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I was in the middle of a game of Doom3 when I smelt something burning... I turned the light in my room on to see what appliance it was coming from when my computer BSOD'ed on me. I have 3 different drives 2 IDE 1 SATA. When i rebooted windows said no valid system disk. All the drives deteced in the bios but I can't format see any of them in windows XP setup to format them or do anything. I've ordered a new Hdd any chance i can recover data or use the drives again? Any help would be appreciated guys..

Use the original hard drive diagnostics software from the HD manufacturer(s) to make sure they are OK. Better do it on a different computer since your own IDE controllers may be fried.

Thanks for the info.
Got the SATA drive in my 2nd comp and it posted. I needed to re partition the drive however, but at least its alive..albiet blank now.
I try my winxp cd and it get all the way past the F8 to agree to the agreement. Then when it asks me to select a install drive is says no drive and when i hit c to create a its blue screens setup.
Could the SATA and IDE controllers on my board be fried?

You have to provide Windows with SATA drivers for it to be able to install on a SATA drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back