All Games Freeze on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRaven

ok so i just got my computer up and running with windows sp2 and ever sinse i installed that servce pack my comuter has been very screwy. most of the games i try to play dont even work. well they work but are not playable. meaning when i start up a game it is so choppy that you cannot do anything. the only game i havnt had any trouble with is tribes 2, but all the other games i have tried like battlefield 1942 and rise of nations and games of that sort donr work at all. i have the latest drivers for my video card and i have more than enough graphics to power the game....i know this because i have played these games on my computer no problem before. but when i formatted for a cen start and put on windows sp2, all hell breaks loose and my computer doesnt run as good as it did before....it seems very sluggish on a lot of programs and games dont even work. can some one help me on this delema...:confused:

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
For client-based and server-based programs that communicate over the Internet or over a network, the new Windows Firewall feature that is included with Windows XP SP2 may be blocking unsolicited connections to your computer. Examples of these types of programs are:

* Multiplayer games and instant message programs that are used over the Internet.
* Windows XP SP2-based client programs that receive data from a server.
* Windows XP SP2-based server programs that respond to client requests.

so i uninstalled SP2 and all it did was crash my computer so i formatted with a clean install of windows and my games seem to work just fine now. i advise all pc gamers so stay away from the windows SP2. not a good choice to make.

Hehe - SP2 doesn't break internet gaming - it just adds network security features which can cause issues if you don't provide a pass-through for your game. All you have to do is poke a hole in the firewall for your game if it needs it. By the way - I run SP2 on my gaming PC and none of my games have had any problems with it yet. When I get back to that machine I'll update this with a list of currently installed games to give you an idea of how extensive that is.

Battlefield 1942
Battlefield Vietnam
Brave Soul
Call of Duty
ChaosLegion
Colin McRae Rally 2005 Demo
Doom 3
Dungeon Siege (including LoA)
Emulation (15 gigs of stuff in this folder)
Far Cry
Freelancer
Giants
GUILTY GEAR XX #RELOAD
Halo
IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
Manhunt
MOHAA
Morrowind (with all expansions)
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
Need For Speed Underground
NWN (with all expansions)