All Games Freeze on me

By BloodRaven
Sep 14, 2004
  1. ok so i just got my computer up and running with windows sp2 and ever sinse i installed that servce pack my comuter has been very screwy. most of the games i try to play dont even work. well they work but are not playable. meaning when i start up a game it is so choppy that you cannot do anything. the only game i havnt had any trouble with is tribes 2, but all the other games i have tried like battlefield 1942 and rise of nations and games of that sort donr work at all. i have the latest drivers for my video card and i have more than enough graphics to power the game....i know this because i have played these games on my computer no problem before. but when i formatted for a cen start and put on windows sp2, all hell breaks loose and my computer doesnt run as good as it did seems very sluggish on a lot of programs and games dont even work. can some one help me on this delema...:confused:
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

3. Strakian

Strakian TS Rookie Posts: 136

why the hell would they break internet gaming with this patch.. stay away from me SP2!
  4. BloodRaven

BloodRaven TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 89

so i uninstalled SP2 and all it did was crash my computer so i formatted with a clean install of windows and my games seem to work just fine now. i advise all pc gamers so stay away from the windows SP2. not a good choice to make.
  5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Hehe - SP2 doesn't break internet gaming - it just adds network security features which can cause issues if you don't provide a pass-through for your game. All you have to do is poke a hole in the firewall for your game if it needs it. By the way - I run SP2 on my gaming PC and none of my games have had any problems with it yet. When I get back to that machine I'll update this with a list of currently installed games to give you an idea of how extensive that is.

Battlefield 1942
    Battlefield Vietnam
    Brave Soul
    Call of Duty
    Colin McRae Rally 2005 Demo
    Doom 3
    Dungeon Siege (including LoA)
    Emulation (15 gigs of stuff in this folder)
    Far Cry
    IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
    Morrowind (with all expansions)
    Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
    Need For Speed Underground
    NWN (with all expansions)
    PlayOnline (This is FFXI)
    Prince of Persia The Sands of Time
    Quake (gl of course - and tenebrae)
    Quake II
    Quake III Arena
    Serious Sam - The Second Encounter