TechSpot

All Games Freeze on me

By BloodRaven
Sep 14, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok so i just got my computer up and running with windows sp2 and ever sinse i installed that servce pack my comuter has been very screwy. most of the games i try to play dont even work. well they work but are not playable. meaning when i start up a game it is so choppy that you cannot do anything. the only game i havnt had any trouble with is tribes 2, but all the other games i have tried like battlefield 1942 and rise of nations and games of that sort donr work at all. i have the latest drivers for my video card and i have more than enough graphics to power the game....i know this because i have played these games on my computer no problem before. but when i formatted for a cen start and put on windows sp2, all hell breaks loose and my computer doesnt run as good as it did before....it seems very sluggish on a lot of programs and games dont even work. can some one help me on this delema...:confused:
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

3. Strakian

Strakian TS Rookie Posts: 146

why the hell would they break internet gaming with this patch.. stay away from me SP2!
  4. BloodRaven

BloodRaven TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 118

so i uninstalled SP2 and all it did was crash my computer so i formatted with a clean install of windows and my games seem to work just fine now. i advise all pc gamers so stay away from the windows SP2. not a good choice to make.
  5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,304   +265

Hehe - SP2 doesn't break internet gaming - it just adds network security features which can cause issues if you don't provide a pass-through for your game. All you have to do is poke a hole in the firewall for your game if it needs it. By the way - I run SP2 on my gaming PC and none of my games have had any problems with it yet. When I get back to that machine I'll update this with a list of currently installed games to give you an idea of how extensive that is.

Battlefield 1942
    Battlefield Vietnam
    Brave Soul
    Call of Duty
    ChaosLegion
    Colin McRae Rally 2005 Demo
    Doom 3
    Dungeon Siege (including LoA)
    Emulation (15 gigs of stuff in this folder)
    Far Cry
    Freelancer
    Giants
    GUILTY GEAR XX #RELOAD
    Halo
    IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
    Manhunt
    MOHAA
    Morrowind (with all expansions)
    Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
    Need For Speed Underground
    NWN (with all expansions)
    PlayOnline (This is FFXI)
    pno0001
    Prince of Persia The Sands of Time
    PSO
    Quake (gl of course - and tenebrae)
    Quake II
    Quake III Arena
    RavenShield
    Serious Sam - The Second Encounter
    Shogo
    Soldier of Fortune II - Double Helix
    Spade
    Splinter Cell
    Star Wars Battlefront
    The Simpsons Hit & Run
    Tribes
    Tribes Vengeance Demo
    UT2004
    Warcraft III (both RoC and FT)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.