All games go too fast after switching an i7 920 for a Xeon X5650

Manuel Diego

I have recently changed the CPU from a core i7 920 to a Xeon X5650. Since then, all games appear to be accelerated: characters move too fast (both player and non-player), dialogs in cut-scenes are also accelerated (a speaker starts its line when the previous speaker hasn't yet finished), etc. It's sort of a Benny Hill situation, not funny at all to see it all move around very fast. I detected the issue with Assassin's Creed Unity, then launched The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot and, to discard a problem with Ubisoft games, I also tried The Talos Principle: all three games have the same problem, whereas before the CPU change they all ran fine at normal speeds.

Does anyone know about this problem and its possible solution?

My specs are:

Mobo: ASUS P6X58D-E
CPU: Xeon X5650 @ 4.18 GHz (previous CPU: i7 920 @ 4.00 GHz)
GPU: GTX 1070
RAM: 6 x Mushkin 2GB DDR3-1600 (12 GB total)
SSD: Samsung 830 512 GB

Thanks in advance!

Wild guess (based on assumption that the X5650 is a confirmed compatible cpu), you may need to reinstall chipset driver - get from motherboard mfg.

Hey man, I had the same issue with Civ 6. Dialogue goes real quick. You end up fixing the problem?

Also, you getting 100% GPU usage with x5650 @4.18ghz? I'm at @4.0 ghz and wondering if its good enough for GTX 1070.

I had to reinstall the games for the issues to disappear. I don't use that computer anymore (Ryzen!), and I don't remember whether the GPU was fully used or not, I guess it depends on the game, there are CPU bound games (like Civ 6, iirc), and gpu bound games. Nehalem is quite old, though, so its IPC is probably not much better than an AMD FX, so while you can pair it with a GTX 1070, it's probably holding it back a little.
The thing is, imho, does it perform good enough for you?

Reinstall the game to let the setting recalibrate? Mmm yeah that sounds about right.
I'm on a GTX680 2gb right now, I think it performs around the GTX1050 mark, but that's a separate topic.

Well, you've made the swap from Xeon to Ryzen.... so it's safe to say that the Ryzen outperforms the Xeon. GTX 1070 would be held back depending on the game. Maybe 10% for CPU games and lesser for GPU games?

More or less, Ryzen performs like Broadwell. So comparing the best Westmere product at the time (the i7 990X, 6 cores @3.46 GHz) to the basic Broadwell CPU, the i7 6800K (6 cores @ 3.40 GHz) can tell how Ryzen compares to your Xeon, more or less: https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/444?vs=1727 It may be around 25%-30% difference. But those are all apps and synthetics, for games I don't think the differences are as big. So all in all, maybe 15%-20% difference?

Back