all i wanna do is play total annihilation

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 problems:
1. i have an old ibm aptiva that runs on windows 95 with a pentium 120mhz and has 22 megs ram, no GPU. It has a 5 pronged monitor output, and i want to hook it up to my 19 inch tv in my room which has s-video inputs, and i haven't the slightest idea how to do it. i would like some tips on how to tweak it to run total annihilation faster, as it always lags after like 10 units are built.

2. the next problem is a big one, which if solved will make the previous problem irrelavent. my parents recently bought a new pc that was custom built by my dad's cousin. it runs windows xp professional, with an AMD athlon 1.66ghz and 256 megs of ram.
my mothers brother, who is a computer engineer with many degrees, says that when games are put on a computer they mess around with the .dll files and cause crashing and other problems over time. i was wondering if that would happen if i were to put only total annihilation on and NEVER anything else, only one game ever. would it cause all the problems that my uncle speaks of, or can i play my most treasured game purchase, on my new pc, lag free?

That second point is exaggerated and Windows File Protection takes care of it in XP anyways. You can safely install several games.

a computer engineer told you that? sounds like he just doesn't want you playing games, that's one of the most blatantly wrong things i've ever heard.

I don't see a problem with installing games on XP, I have done it for a year now and have had no problems. You just need to be careful when uninstalling them it will say that some file isn't used anymore by the game and can be removed if you want it to, I just click no. They don't take up that much space, and shouldn't cause any problems (at least none yet for me).

In regards to your first question:

It's quite hard to answer without any information about which video card is in it...

If you could find out it's name, we should be able to tell you if what you're trying to do is possible or if you'll have to buy a new PCI video card...

thanks

thanks very much for your help guys, I have figured out that it is not possible to connect my old pc to a tv, which makes me sad.
I will show my parents the info you guys have posted here regarding question 2, and hopefully, with any luck, i will building an inpenetrable fortress in total annihilation sometime soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back