TechSpot

All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro cooling

By erickdj
Feb 19, 2004
  1. The fan on my AIW 9800 is starting to make a really loud noise, I know it's about to die one of these days. The card is still under warranty, but it's the only card I have so I can't just send it to ATI and wait for more than 2 weeks to get it back. I need to find a decent aftermarket cooling solution for the card. Most of the cooling fans/heatsinks or heat pipes I have seen won't fit the card because of the TV tuner getting on the way of the heatsink. Does anyone know of a decent cooling solution that will fit an All-In-Wonder card?

2. snowman

snowman TS Rookie Posts: 312

you could buy an aftermarket fan from zalman, thermaltake or other companies, try www.newegg.com search for VGA chipset fans.

3. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 446

You'd be LUCKY if you got the card back in 2 weeks from my experience...

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

I solved my 9800SE All-in-Wonder noise problem simply by changing only the fan. I didn't touch the heatsink itself. To be more precise I didn't even remove the old fan, I just unplugged it and installed a new one on top of it (the fan was small, inside the heatsink). I haven't noticed any heat problems and noises are gone now :)

5. erickdj

erickdj TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

Mictlantecuhtli, What kind of fan did you use? I've been looking at some of the vga fans out there, but they all seem to be "Blocked" on the bottom. the fans I saw were intended to be mounted directly on the VPU, the fans came built with a heatsink so no air passes through.

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Zalman's ZM-OP1 taped to the card, angled slightly so that the air goes out through the open slot next to the card :)

7. erickdj

erickdj TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

thanks Mictlantecuhtli.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.