All my games freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeptisk

Ok, I need some help. =) Big time.

On my old cpu I played my favorite games, NFS most wanted and CS. Life was glorious.

Then I bought a whole new computer. BUT the same graphics-card. So I reinstalled windows Xp pro SP2 Eng. Now my games freezes. The wierd thing is, that not all games seems to freeze. Nfs most wanted, Counter Strike, Battle for middle earth, they freeze. But Splinter Cell and King Kong for instance, works fine!?

Sometimes it takes 20 minutes before it crashes, sometimes 20 seconds. And yes, I have tried several different drivers for both my Graphics and audio. Newest directX as well yea. And yes, I've tried to uninstall Norton Antivirus.

Help me out please.

It's a:
Intel P4 3.0Ghz
1 GB Ram
Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard audio
Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT 128Mb
Windows Xp SP2

Thanks....

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Have you checked for and installed any updates for
DirectX9.0c
chipset drivers
video drivers
ide/inf drivers
audio drivers
etc.?

Hmmm

Yup, I have downloaded the newest asus onboard audio drivers from their webpage. And the newest Nvidia drivers. Shouldn that be enough?

//

There is an agp driver for that board

Version 1.17 2003/07/28 update
OS Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP
Description SiS AGP WHQL Drivers for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP V7.2.0.1170
File Size 5.38 (MBytes)
ASUS/SIS agp
has all the other drivers that should fix your problems barring any hardware trouble
SIS downloads

we had this problem at the computer store that i work at. The newer games require much more system resources than the older games (obviosly). The problem we had was that the video cards fan wasnt spinning because of a major build up of ust and dirt. You say this is a new system so id check to see if the video card is the problem. Dont do it yourself if its still under waranty take it in and get them to check. if theres a problem they have to honour the waranty and replace your card for free.

Nope

Nope, I've checked for dust, I even calculated my power suply, to see if it was powerful enough. But no luck. I will now try the AGP update to see if it cures the problem.

And btw, I installed my old Battle for middle earth game, number 1, and it crashed after 1 hour. Same thing, everything freezes up. But the strange thing is that after that, I played Counter Strike Source for 2 hours, no problem. Seems as if that game works better. So:

WORKS:
Splinter Cell
King Kong
(both new, and "heavy" games)

Freezes:
NFS Most Wanted
B.F.M.E 1 & 2
And Counter strike, sometimes.

1.Everest download
2.Pc Wizard
both are freebies...
Get one of these and install it. I prefer PcWizard.
I have it minimized running in the background, it gives me my cpu temps in
the upper right hand corner of my desktop.
Then run some intensive program and keep an eye on temps.
Everest will give the video temps if your card supports it.
Should give us a good idea whats happening on your system

Log?

Does it log what happends as the system crashes? I've tried to find some error.log for the games, to have a look, but none of the games has error logs.

Does it log what happends as the system crashes?
They don't log anything I'm aware of, just run in the background for live temps.
though you if you havn't disabled it, you do have mini dumps from XP.
Have you gotten any BSOD? (blew screens of death) if so
what brand and type of ram do you have.

skeptisk said:
[CENTER]Graphics 62° C
Cpu 42° C[/CENTER]

Is that ok?
Is 42°c under load or dle?
Either way thats not bad.
And most likely not the culprit..... :(
Hopefully some of the others will jump in for what I'm missing.

Just think what happenes when that graphic card is under heat.

Try 70c-90c

Got to get those graphic card temps down. :knock:

Combatible?

Ok, so I got my temperature under wraps, seems to do fine. I can almost put my beer in the computer. =) Niiiiice and cool. But yea, anyway, no, doesn't work. And I mean, it all worked perfekt my my old cpu. Could it be a matter of motherboard and cpu or graphics? In terms of compatiblity i mean?

Huh that not entirely accurate.
check this Thread
I was perplexed by these temps too, until techsupport told me
my 6800gt would not run right under 50°c that it would start throwing artifacts.
This is real time pic of my card.
As to nVidia chips not getting along with intel mine does quite well.
Though I have seen really odd things mixing ATi video cards with nForce MoBo
chipsets and doing very well. Go figure?!

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 6
Confused

Well, if its not the temperature, its idle at 62 C, so i guess thats ok.
Its not the drivers, since i've tried several, the newest and old ones. For audio and graphics. Its not DirectX. Its not the power suply. I even tried unplugging everything I didnt need.

Im starting to think that it might be my windows installation? Re-install perhaps? Or, its just something in my computer hardware that causes a conflict? Maybe its a bad combo with my motherboard,cpu,RAM and graphics?

Ps. Someone said something about Service Pack 2 messing up some games?
Oh and in my device manager, my RAID Controller is disabled. But thats not a problem, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back