All of my folders are set as "Read-Only"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this should go on the Windows thread or the Security and Web thread...

My computer was recently hit by one of the latest AIM viruses, because of my absent-minded clicking :suspiciou . My antivirus software detected and cleaned out the virus, but not before the virus set all of my folders to "Read-Only". And every time I try to change the setting, the folder resets itself to "Read-Only" again. I tried reverting to a system restore point, to no avail. I'm guessing the problem is found somewhere in the Registry files, but I don't know enough to figure it out. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

--Bigman143

well, havnt you ever made system backups or registry backups? if not than that was your first mistake :( other than that i cant help you :( always make backups :)

Why the read-only attribute doesn't matter

Hi Folks
After reading a few very unhelpful answers to Bigman143's perfectly valid question I thought I should shed some real light on the matter.

Check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549 for an explanation of why the _folder_ read-only attribute rarely matters in MS Windows. In short, Microsoft stole this bit for another use, and for the purpose of read/write access in a Windows environment you rarely need to concern yourself with it. This article also explains why, by design, you can't easily change this attribute using common Windows tools.

Good luck and be well Bigman143

Best regards
GordL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back