All out shut down (under video stress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, first I'd like to say I have been browsing these forums for quite a while and just signed up today finally. Normally in the past I have been able to solve all my own computer problems as they have stemmed from software issues, but this time I am at a loss because its finally hardware issues.

I'll get right to the point.

I have had this computer since may of '09 I was using it to mainly play WoW and Combat Arms as well as waiting for a few other select games to release and this rig has played them all fantastically temps have all been great never any errors or random shut downs.

5 days ago I bought (wait for it cause its been in several other threads) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 it took me 2 tries to get it to install properly (thank you steam for your infinite suckage) and after it did install I was able to jump right into the game on multiplayer and play it for like 6-8 hours that night when all of a sudden my computer inexplicably just turns off. No warning, no error, no problem or so I thought. I had to pull the plug out of the back of the power supply wait a few seconds for the remaining juice to drain then plug it back in for the thing to even turn back on.

I started the game back up played maybe another 20 mins and it did it again. It was late so I decided to just go to bed and say screw it I'll look into it after work. Well when I got home after work the comp would turn on start to load windows then just shut off before making it to the desktop. I replaced the power cord thinking just a minor fix might be all it needs. No go, did the same thing. I took the comp to a friend and bought a new 550w PSU (replacing the old 580W PSU I had) but the problem was still there. We started pulling the plugs out and adding one by one the comp stayed on.....Till we got to the (of all the damn things) CD/DVD RW that was tripping the system and shutting it back down.

Now with my new PSU I thought all was well took my comp home and started the same game back up as soon as I loaded in the damn thing crashed again. After researching for the past 3-4 days I have come to the conclusion that its A. a heat issue or B. a Voltage issue or (scary thought) C. Fried video card/CPU/mobo one of those.

The specs of my system are:
4 GIG PC 6400 800MHz (tested with memtest for over 4 hours not a single error)
500 GIG SATA II 3GB 16MB cache 7200 RPM HD
ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 1GB GPU
Gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p AM3 DDR2 1333+ crossfire mobo
AMD Phenom II 910 quad core 2.6 GHz processor
and a brand freaking new 550 watt PSU (and in 7-12 days a brand new 1000 watt modular PSU)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Like I said I ran MemTest and no errors, I also ran CPU-Z, GPU-Z and SpeedFan, here are the Temps SpeedFan lists if you need more let me know and I will post them accordingly.
Temp 1: 44C
Temp 2: 41C
Temp 3: 43C
HD0: 37C
Core: 36C
All of these temps are under the manufacturers temperature warnings. Thus i have pretty much ruled out heat as any of my issues.

Here are the Volatges SpeedFan lists (I have no idea what any of this means)

Vcore1: 1.25V
Vcore2: 1.95V
+3.3V: 3.22V
+5V: 5.03V
+12V: 11.97V
-12V: -4.21V
-5V: 4.05V
+5V: 3.60V
Vbat: 3.14V

I hope that makes sense to any of you who are more computer savvy than I am.

What I need to know is am I right thinking that its a power supply cause some of those voltage deficits are pretty marginal or could it be something more along the lines of a fried GPU?

I, like I said, have been browsing not just these forums but lots of other sites and what no one has said is that before my system shuts down there are some funky sounding electrical clicking sounds coming from either the PSU CPU or GPU I can't narrow it down any more than that sorry. After it starts to click like that The entire system goes down like I said no errors no blue screen (makes me think its not the CPU) start it up it runs fine for hours in fact I've been on it now since about 5:30 PM its now 3:30 AM.

It'll play those stupid facebook games like castle age and farmville, I can also watch youtube video's or brows (to my knowledge) any website that I have come across.

Thanks in advance -Calen

It is always hard to analyse these problems without being there, so if I say anything that is clearly wrong, I apologise in advanced.

First off, the temperatures you stated were taken when your computer was idle, right? The difference between idle and load temperatures is quite staggering. Since modern gfx cards like to cause a lot of heat, when it is under load (when gaming, for example), your computer can really heat up.

You should check your bios to see if you have enabled your computer to automatically shut down if it reaches a certain temperature. If it isn't enabled than chances are that it isn't a heat problem.

I can't think of anything more to contribute than that for now.

Yeah its already been disabled from BIOS and yes that is the temps at Idle I can't stress the cards to get readings on them the comp shuts off.

Also I forgot to mention I have the latest video and audio drivers installed from the respective vendors sites as well as windows up to date too.

If anyone needs anymore info to help me solve the problem at hand let me know and I'll gladly post it.

Additionally, I recently purchased a Xion AXP-1000R14HE Lan-Party Edition 1000 Watt SLI Certified Cross Fire Ready 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU
that will be arriving any day now (stupid northern snow storms got the mail so late right now) but I'll post when I get it installed if it fixes an problems.

After spending all day replicating the results the funny sound is coming from the PSU. So now I have a whole new set of concerns, with me running my GFX card on low voltage like I did without knowing, will my card be toast now? Or will it be ok if I just get that new PSU installed?

Installed my PSU 4 days ago, been playing games pretty much non-stop with no further video or shutdown issues so this problem appears to be solved 1000 watt PSU fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back