All the different types of drivers???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello....I am having problems with a USB soundcard on my laptop...and I am constantly told to update ALL my drivers...well, I am trying to figure out what ALL means.

Are mobo drivers different from chipset drivers?

I have learned a lot about my computer in the past month or so...but I am still confused as to all the main drivers that can be updated.

I have updated my bios..and my internal soundcard drivers.

I believe my mobo chipset is a ATI IGP-340M....although I thought ATI was my video card???

I think my mobo is made by Ali....does that sound right?

I have a HP ZE4100 laptop with a P4 1.7 M processor if that helps out any.

Thanks

Chipset drivers are often part of the mobo drivers. Ie. if you download the latest drivers for your motherboard, it will include drivers for you chipsets.
But your graphics chip usually have newer drivers you can get from the manufacturer (in this case ATI).

here is a list of drivers which HP is listing as drivers for your Laptop. It does not however list any drivers for your motherboard.

So I'd contact HP directly and ask where you can get ahold of them.
You could try finding the drivers from Ali, but most big OEMs (HP, DELL, Gateway, etc) have custom motherboards, which might require special drivers.

But for the graphics, you'll be safe downloading from ATI.
(You can also get the latest drivers for your ati chipset there, but I'd still see what HP suggests)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back