Alleged Nvidia GeForce GTX 880 gets pictured

Scorpus

Staff member

It's been over a year since the launch of Nvidia's first GTX 700 series graphics cards, so in the usual yearly cycle of releases we should be expecting the launch of Nvidia's next line - the GeForce GTX 800 series - sometime soon.

What could be the first graphics card in that line, the GeForce GTX 880, has allegedly been pictured over on Chinese website GamerSky. At this stage it's hard to verify what this card actually is, especially as a lot of the PCB has been pixelated, but it's certainly not something we've seen before.

In the center of the prototype board we see a new GPU that, according to some digging done by ComputerBase, is a Maxwell-based GM204. The estimated die area is larger than that of GK104, which was the first high-end Kepler GPU, but slightly smaller than GK110.

alleged nvidia geforce gtx rumor nvidia gpu graphics card maxwell gtx 880 gtx 800 series

On the back of the board are eight dual-sided SK Hynix memory modules, totaling an estimated 8 GB of frame buffer. It's expected the card will launch with 4 GB of VRAM, later to be bumped to 8 GB by OEMs as the demand for 4K gaming setups increases.

On the top edge it's also possible to see three PCIe power connectors: two six-pin and one eight-pin. This is likely just a feature included for testing the prototype, as the maximum supported power draw of 375W is significantly higher than Nvidia's current flagship single-GPU cards.

alleged nvidia geforce gtx rumor nvidia gpu graphics card maxwell gtx 880 gtx 800 series

It's not clear when the GTX 880 will launch, but with the engineering samples nearing completion, it shouldn't be too far away.

Permalink to story.

Even if picture was not censored I wouldn't know what to look at. It's a board with stuff in it, ok I guess.

If that's the stock power delivery (2 six pins and an 8 pin with what appears to be room to convert one 6 pin to an 8 pin), God Damn! Nvidia's most power hungry card yet ;)

If that's the stock power delivery (2 six pins and an 8 pin with what appears to be room to convert one 6 pin to an 8 pin), God Damn! Nvidia's most power hungry card yet ;)

We are not far off the day when a team of hardcore players brings down domestic power grid.

It's all about balance in the world: whatever the automotive industry sheds off in consumption, the video cards seem to gain ;) Talking about green gas, it is green nVidia that's becoming the new culprit :)

If that's the stock power delivery (2 six pins and an 8 pin with what appears to be room to convert one 6 pin to an 8 pin), God Damn! Nvidia's most power hungry card yet
Maxwell is a very efficiency-oriented microarchitecture, specially given how Nvidia wants to focus on the laptop market, and the GTX 750 and GTX 750 Ti have already shown what a huge inprovement over Kepler that was.
It's more than obvious that is NOT the stock power delivery. And that will be the exact opposite, you can expect a significant decrese in consumption compared to the GTX 770.

"What can ya say its an 'Extreme' Overclocker..."
No, that is just engineer sample, and power hungry card is nothing new or a problem.

Its really sad to see the SLI bridge connectors there still. I was hoping those would be done over pci-e next generation.

No, that is just engineer sample, and power hungry card is nothing new or a problem.

Ye but its gonna need 2 8pins and 1 6pin connectors to power it, its more powerful than the Titan Z and has 1024 bus, 12024 effective memory clock, 92ROPS, 1024GB/s memory bandwidth, 10559 Cuda cores

Ye but its gonna need 2 8pins and 1 6pin connectors to power it, its more powerful than the Titan Z and has 1024 bus, 12024 effective memory clock, 92ROPS, 1024GB/s memory bandwidth, 10559 Cuda cores

Engineering samples come near the end of development to test for final bugs. That's why sometimes sites get ES's or Retail parts for reviews... because they are both very close in the final stages. Think of ES's as Release candidates, or betas.

No way you're comparing power requirements between a dual GPU Kepler and a single GPU Maxwell... no freaking way...

Evidence shows its more power hungry than a titan z or does it need 4 8pins?
This is no evidence. It's likely an engineering sample, which means things can still change dramatically until it releases.

I doubt it will exceed the usual of 8+6.

Evidence shows its more power hungry than a titan z or does it need 4 8pins?
I think at this point it is immaterial. The extra power connector was explained in the article, to cover any inefficiencies the card may have being a pre-release version. Not to mention testing over-clocks with it, they probably didn't know how much power the build would need.

Development board. It likely allows for 1x8pin + 1x6pin, or 2x6pin operation. Handy for tuning final clocks vs power demand, calculating boost clock parameters - that sort of thing - especially if the reference card is either on the cusp of 8+6 pin or 2x6pin requirement, or AIB's are looking at non-reference vendor OC/cooling on launch day.

We've been told that power usage is largely immaterial by those that have defended the Hawaii GPU-based cards' power/heat/watts-per-mm characteristics, so maybe Nvidia listened and the next GTX will have 375+W of input power and phase change cooling ;):D:D:D:D
I think the real on will have 4- 8pin connectors and 3- 6pin that pic is to throw us off
That's why the VRM section is pixelated! To hide the secret sauce connection...
30c.jpg

Last edited:
If the following GTX 870 is good enough maybe I'll upgrade and cycle my GTX 770 down a system.

I find it hard to believe it will cost less than the 780 with the possibility of 8GB of VRAM.

Back