Alleged Samsung Galaxy Note 4 specs leaked: 4GB RAM, 2K display, 20.1MP camera

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Samsung's flagship Galaxy S5 phone hasn't hit the market yet, but rumors related to the Galaxy Note 4, company's next-gen Note series handset, have started gaining momentum across the web. If recent reports are to be believed, the Note 4 could sport a better display than S5.

According to CNMO (English translated), the Galaxy Note 4 could feature a "2K" display with a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels, compared to S5's resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. Although the blog also said that the device could sport a UHD 4K display, it seems unlikely. The device is expected to sport a 20.7MP rear camera with 4K video-recording capability.

Just like the Galaxy S5, the upcoming Galaxy Note 4 is expected to be water- and dust-proof. It could also have a 64 bit processor. Currently Apple's iPhone 5S is the only phone in the market with a 64-bit processor. As far as operating system is concerned, the device could run on Android 4.5.

Other leaked features include 4G network support, dual-band Wi-Fi capabilities, handwriting-recognition technology to unlock the device, 4GB RAM, 128 GB internal memory, optical image stabilization, and improved battery capacity. As per the report, the price of the device will be less than $800.

The device's release date is unclear at the moment due to the early launch of the Galaxy S5. Although it is expected to be unveiled at the IFA tech expo in Berlin in September, Samsung could opt for a separate event before that.

Permalink to story.

I dont see the obsession of going anywhere beyond 1080P on a phone unless it has battery life of 1day in use and 5-7days idle or is there some secret benefit to going 2k that trumps everything else except 2k mario games.

I dont see the obsession of going anywhere beyond 1080P on a phone unless it has battery life of 1day in use and 5-7days idle or is there some secret benefit to going 2k that trumps everything else except 2k mario games.
Yeah the resolution race is getting a bit ridiculous. They always need something to advertise, like "Best screen on the market" for example. This applies to the camera also. The megapixel race is over. Manufacturers should be focusing on internal improvements to the camera other than MPs; for example, low light performance. Like I said before though, they need big numbers to advertise.

As for the 4GB of RAM, I really find this to be the most unnecessary part since Android already uses very little RAM. Why would they want to "futureproof" a phone in a way by adding lots of RAM if they want people to buy new devices ASAP.

I dont really think the next iteration of Android will be 4.5. I think they will just wait and release 5.0. In the meantime they are working on Android 4.4.3 (I think this is the #) which will fix tons of bugs. I think that is the best bet for the OS on the Note 4.

I really have a lot of skepticism about this report. 4K display and 128GB of internal storage? And under $800? Yeah right... it doesnt add up.

Improve low light performance since the current Samsung models are simply awful at that.

128 gb storage was announced a couple of weeks ago, no reason why the note 4 wouldn't or couldn't support it. The Samsung stores in Best Buy even say 128 gb storage will come to most current devices. Samsung has confirmed they will be using 128 gb storage. The same thing happened with the 64 gb storage, Note 8.0 was first to get it then all the other devices got it once the update came out. That was like 2-3 years ago.

From a customers point of view I can see that these "extras" or "upgrades" look nice and all but tbh with a 1hr idle battery life its gonna be useless unless other stuff get upgraded like the battery, cheaper materials, better ui, better OS.

Awesome specs! Man I can't wait for next Galaxy Note to come out. It will be 4th Galaxy Note I won't have.

From a customers point of view I can see that these "extras" or "upgrades" look nice and all but tbh with a 1hr idle battery life its gonna be useless unless other stuff get upgraded like the battery, cheaper materials, better ui, better OS.

Battery life is IMO the most critical, yay I can play a game on 2k resolution for 30 minutes! Then my battery died.. and I'm going to rage at my phone for the day. I don't see really the point of higher resolutions, phones are not going to replace everything. I don't think someone will be literally, holding a tablet up to their head to talk. That's where you would want something better, but even then it's getting silly going past 1080p.

Monitors are just the general thing before with the high resolution, now it's like everyone's trying to cram 2k/4k into smaller packages. What's the honest to goodness point, aside from dancing around showing your high pixel density screens for bragging rights? I've looked into a mobile for the first time, being you just might need it.

We're getting nothing but the same nonsense, going bigger is better and pushing more is smart. Megapixel race is over, screen size race is over, etc. They should focus on actual improvements, dump more into actually getting better performing battery tech. Better refined hardware all around, that would actually be beneficial and not superficial.

How about the material used on the body design? is it gonna use metal unibody, or is it still using that cheap-feel plastic body imitating leather?

Don't get your hopes up. The S5 also had rumors like this that ended up to be phony. What the next Note will probably be an is an enlarged S5 with an extra GB of RAM. It'll probably still be plastic too.

Improve low light performance since the current Samsung models are simply awful at that.

+1, I think Samsung believes people only take pictures in very good lighting or outdoors, hence, complete ignorance about low light camera performance. I think someone said that 'android uses very little RAM' an obvious understatement, since even with 2GB of RAM there are times when my S4 (GT-i9505) properly feels rubbish arrrr I mean sluggish (and it has been same since my first ever android phone I.e. original GS). There is a reason Google is still trying to 'improve (read fix)' memory performance of its OS. In this context, Microsoft's 'bottom up' approach is far superior IMHO, they not only designed their OS this way, but also advice all app developers to follow this model.

Also their insistence on using 'shiny plastic' materials in construction is pretty awful, I reckon (if I have to rate others quality in this area) Apple is miles ahead in this area, then HTC, and probably then Nokia/Sony.

Yeah the resolution race is getting a bit ridiculous. They always need something to advertise, like "Best screen on the market" for example. This applies to the camera also. The megapixel race is over. Manufacturers should be focusing on internal improvements to the camera other than MPs; for example, low light performance. Like I said before though, they need big numbers to advertise.
Yes not sure how a 1440p display is that beneficial for a phone but hard to say without seeing it next to the 1080p panel. With cameras, I'd prefer they worked on optics rather than crazy pixel counts. The first thing I do is default to a more realistic resolution (something that you can send to people in emails if that's what you're doing etc).

As for the 4GB of RAM, I really find this to be the most unnecessary part since Android already uses very little RAM. Why would they want to "futureproof" a phone in a way by adding lots of RAM if they want people to buy new devices ASAP.
Ram is cheap and there is nothing worse than not having enough ram.

I really have a lot of skepticism about this report. 4K display and 128GB of internal storage?
128GB internal would be absolutely fantastic but yes, skeptical they could do that for $800...

Yeah the resolution race is getting a bit ridiculous.
Says the man who wants a higher resolution on his 4" iPhone screen. What's the matter JC? Had second thoughts...

Don't get your hopes up. The S5 also had rumors like this that ended up to be phony. What the next Note will probably be an is an enlarged S5 with an extra GB of RAM. It'll probably still be plastic too.

Indeed, the rumours about the S5 having metal chassis and 64 bit SOC and QHD were all bogus and I call bogus on most of these specs. It'll be a locked down bootloader thanks to Knox, so I won't be touching another Samesung phone.

Back