Almost black screen problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airandius

I have seen a lot of topics about black screens, however this is not my problem.
My computer (specs below) has always worked fine but not so long ago it started to have some issues.

After start up (login screen and a while after logged in) the screen will go almost fully black. It's as if it applies a black layer onto my screen.
I can just barely see what's going on.

So it's not fully black, but like 99% black.
If I turn of my screen and back on it seems to be normal, but it will happen again in just a few seconds.
After a couple of tries it seems to stop and like I said before the screen does not go fully black, my computer is still running and I can still do anything (except for the fact I can't really see what I'm doing).

I'm afraid this might become worse and I'm wondering, is it because of the old age of my screen? Or is it because of my video card (pretty new).

My specs are:

Manufacturer: Norrod
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Hard Drive: 700 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)

The only information about my screen is that it's an Dell E153FP.
This is a rather new problem, help would be nice. =)

~Airandius

Have you tried changing dvi cords? passed that if you have an old video card try that, make sure you have latest 9 series drivers for your vga as well.

Have you tried changing dvi cords? passed that if you have an old video card try that, make sure you have latest 9 series drivers for your vga as well.

Don't know what dvi cords are.

Don't have any old video cards to test this screen one.
However the problems started a week ago, and it has not done anything like this before. I used this card and screen together for over half a year at least.
There seems to be no other problems though. I can play my games without any problems. (For example L4D runs very smooth.)
The problem only occurs in the first minutes after the computer has started. =/
If I keep clicking on/off of my screen it will just stop being lame and works normal.

I don't know if I have the latest drivers, the Nvidia site is having trouble finding out if I'm up to date. (Firefox just gives me a new page telling me to try again and an apology of nvidia. And Internet Explorer just crashes lol.)
However I have been using my current driver way before the problems occurred.

Last check that was successful was maybe one or two months ago and my current version is .... Don't know where to get it. =X

if you have a monitor that's been made within the las 4 years it will have a dvi input.
Just because you've been using the current driver before with no issues doesnt mean you should exclude it. I think everyone does this...until they have to upgrade their drivers, lol.

dxdiag should show you your current hardware and drivers.

My guess is that this screen is older then 4 years. I could not find anything that has something to do with a dvi input.
Only a power and computer input.

I guess I'll just buy a hard drive (you know the ones you connect with usb) and make a backup of some important things of my computer.

It is having issues, for example starting my documents on start up without a good reason because msconfig nor the registery files have anything to do with it.
(Virus I guess but my computer comes out clean.)

Problem is, I have no clue where my Vista OS cd is.. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back