ALS Association moves to trademark 'ice bucket challenge'

Justin Kahn

trademarking als association ice bucket challenge

Update: Met with criticism around the web, the ALS Association has now withdrawn its applications to trademark the phrase "Ice Bucket Challenge" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

The ALS ice bucket challenge has made its round across the internet helping to raise more then $94 million for the cause, the now the ALS Association wants to trademark it.

The group filled for trademarks on the phrases "ice bucket challenge" and "ALS ice bucket challenge" on August 22nd in what many are considering a somewhat controversial move. While the benefits the viral campaign have brought to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) are extremely valuable, there are issues that arise when it comes to trademarking the terms.

The ALS Association certainly doesn't want the popular activity or phrase being used by fraudulent outfits and those with malicious intent, but some suggest the move stops other, important charitable causes from capitalizing on its popularity. While legal experts have suggested that trademarking both issues is in poor taste, others say it would be hard to believe that two charity organizations would go after each other in court. Stopping a charitable organization from raising funds certainly wouldn't look good on the ALS Association, or any other group for that matter.

Nothing is guaranteed here though. Not only is tracing the beginnings of the ALS ice bucket challenge difficult, but most legal experts and those familiar with the situation suggest it is going to be tough to lock down these particular trademarks.

Image via NBC

Permalink to story.

$94million and most of that is being used to trademark stupid stuff, well done owners of ALS association you just became another greedy company...

Seriously now a charity or a wannabe charity like ALS association spending literally millions of money it got from donations JUST to trademark stupid stuff is like telling everyone who suffers from ALS "Sorry bro we aint got enough money to help with researching your problem we just spent most of it on trademarking and buying myself a big shiny car but its ok because my new company is called a charity its a big money maker"

$94million and most of that is being used to trademark stupid stuff, well done owners of ALS association you just became another greedy company..."

Well they pulled the trademark request, after being under fire from all directions. Which shows in the end, the power that a combined effort can do. Just most times that power is used in the wrong way, and we end up with all the other negative things happening on the internet.

$94million and most of that is being used to trademark stupid stuff, well done owners of ALS association you just became another greedy company..."

Well they pulled the trademark request, after being under fire from all directions. Which shows in the end, the power that a combined effort can do. Just most times that power is used in the wrong way, and we end up with all the other negative things happening on the internet.

Still the ALS sufferers lost out because some of that $94million was still used to try getting the trademark... a charity shouldnt be greedy AT ALL its not a religion so I dont see why the owners of such charities treat it like a religion just greedy....

I find the ice bucket challenge in bad taste to begin with. First off, why does ALS deserve more attention then any other disease? I don't know, they're are plenty of other diseases. Secondly, to what end is the money supposed to go to? Is it to find a cure? Is it to provide medical care to ALS patients? I don't know and thats not the focal point of the campaign. The ice bucket is the focal part of the campaign. And to be quite honest, if the pharmaceuticals actually found a cure, I doubt we'd ever see it unless it was profitable to produce. Otherwise such a medication would be discredited and disapproved by the FCC. The pharmaceutical industry aren't interested in cures, they are interested in treatments that lead to more treatments. If you ask me, for $94 million dollars, I doubt we'll see anything good come from it.

I find the ice bucket challenge in bad taste to begin with. First off, why does ALS deserve more attention then any other disease? I don't know, they're are plenty of other diseases. Secondly, to what end is the money supposed to go to? Is it to find a cure? Is it to provide medical care to ALS patients? I don't know and thats not the focal point of the campaign. The ice bucket is the focal part of the campaign. And to be quite honest, if the pharmaceuticals actually found a cure, I doubt we'd ever see it unless it was profitable to produce. Otherwise such a medication would be discredited and disapproved by the FCC. The pharmaceutical industry aren't interested in cures, they are interested in treatments that lead to more treatments. If you ask me, for $94 million dollars, I doubt we'll see anything good come from it.

Apparently only 27% is actually going to research. The rest in lining the pockets....

Still the ALS sufferers lost out because some of that $94million was still used to try getting the trademark... a charity shouldnt be greedy AT ALL its not a religion so I dont see why the owners of such charities treat it like a religion just greedy....

Just when I thought that capitalist corporate America was the Gold Standard for greed in this country, along comes a heathen to suggest that religion is. Take it easy, Infidel. Jihadis may be watching...

"I find the ice bucket challenge in bad taste to begin with. First off, why does ALS deserve more attention then any other disease? I don't know, they're are plenty of other diseases. Secondly, to what end is the money supposed to go to? Is it to find a cure? Is it to provide medical care to ALS patients? I don't know and thats not the focal point of the campaign. The ice bucket is the focal part of the campaign. And to be quite honest, if the pharmaceuticals actually found a cure, I doubt we'd ever see it unless it was profitable to produce. Otherwise such a medication would be discredited and disapproved by the FCC. The pharmaceutical industry aren't interested in cures, they are interested in treatments that lead to more treatments. If you ask me, for $94 million dollars, I doubt we'll see anything good come from it"​
You obviously don't know much about pharmaceutical companies. First off, they are for-profit companies just like every other type of corporation out there. Second, they do actually develop treatments that make people with certain conditions or diseases better deal with their symptoms that can lead to better quality of life or in some cases, may indeed cure them. Last, it's the FDA that approves medications not the FCC. Now, I'm not saying that the pharma industry is guiltless by any means, but let's not assume that they're always the bad guys, especially the way the media portrays them. Probably everyone here knows someone who has benefited from some type of treatment from the pharma industry. Nevertheless, I agree with everything else you said about ALS and the ice bucket challenge.

Apparently only 27% is actually going to research. The rest in lining the pockets....
I'm not doubting that, but do you have a source?

Jane H. Gilbert – President and CEO –$339,475.00
Daniel M. Reznikov – Chief Financial Officer – $201,260.00
Steve Gibson – Chief Public Policy Officer – $182,862.00
Kimberly Maginnis -Chief of Care Services Officer – $160,646.00
Lance Slaughter -Chief Chapter Relations and Development Officer – $152,692.00
Michelle Keegan – Chief Development Officer – $178,744.00
John Applegate – Association Finance Officer – $118.726.00
David Moses – Director of Planned Giving – $112,509.00
Carrie Munk – Chief Communications and Marketing Officer – $142,875.00
Patrick Wildman – Director of Public Policy – $112,358.00
Kathi Kromer – Director of State Advocacy – $110,661.00

Looks like a for profit organization to me specially with those wages... what happened to leaving the money for the people who need it instead of the needy?

Wait until you see what these guys get next year with all the extra money they are pulling in!

Jane H. Gilbert - President and CEO -$339,475.00
Daniel M. Reznikov - Chief Financial Officer - $201,260.00
Steve Gibson - Chief Public Policy Officer - $182,862.00
Kimberly Maginnis -Chief of Care Services Officer - $160,646.00
Lance Slaughter -Chief Chapter Relations and Development Officer - $152,692.00
Michelle Keegan - Chief Development Officer - $178,744.00
John Applegate - Association Finance Officer - $118.726.00
David Moses - Director of Planned Giving - $112,509.00
Carrie Munk - Chief Communications and Marketing Officer - $142,875.00
Patrick Wildman - Director of Public Policy - $112,358.00
Kathi Kromer - Director of State Advocacy - $110,661.00

People who are doing this ice bucket challange are doing it for fun and to get attention, pouring water over head won't do ****. If you are doing it for charity, why the **** are you filming it then? It's similar to facebook and *****s who cure cancer with likes.

You obviously don't know much about pharmaceutical companies. First off, they are for-profit companies just like every other type of corporation out there. Second, they do actually develop treatments that make people with certain conditions or diseases better deal with their symptoms that can lead to better quality of life or in some cases, may indeed cure them. Last, it's the FDA that approves medications not the FCC. Now, I'm not saying that the pharma industry is guiltless by any means, but let's not assume that they're always the bad guys, especially the way the media portrays them. Probably everyone here knows someone who has benefited from some type of treatment from the pharma industry. Nevertheless, I agree with everything else you said about ALS and the ice bucket challenge.

I honestly can't believe I typed FCC. Oh well, it happens. And FYI, I do understand that pharmaceuticals is a for profit industry. The problem is, that's all they are for. They're for helping people if its financially convenient and that doesn't count. No such business concept of doing well by doing good. They're doing plenty well regardless of if they actually do any good. And its hard to make an definitive argument for or against such an accusation. People's minds can't be read, so it ultimately comes down to if you believe it or you don't. I just don't believe the pharmaceutical head honchos give a crap about anything except money.

Now that is truly BS if true.

It would seem most of the people commenting on this article are not only thinking incredibly simplistically, but absent any actual information.

In any event, 28% goes to research and part of 7% goes to paying those who work for the organization (salaries are part of admin. expense). Because they're looting people like bandits, obviously: http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

I was tired of the whole ice bucket stuff about a week after it started. In our narcissistic self centered got to be liked, twittered etc, it's sad that instead of just donating to a charity, we have to make it about ourselves and hopefully garner more hits, likes, tweets than anyone else.

I was tired of the whole ice bucket stuff about a week after it started. In our narcissistic self centered got to be liked, twittered etc, it's sad that instead of just donating to a charity, we have to make it about ourselves and hopefully garner more hits, likes, tweets than anyone else.

I've always said that to part people from their money one needs only play to their vices. Call it, Davis' Principle.

I dunno why this 'ice bucket challenge' became so popular, it's not even challenging.. How about 'LN2 bucket challenge'? well maybe not a bucket but a cup of LN2 is suffice for the challenge :D

I dunno why this 'ice bucket challenge' became so popular, it's not even challenging.. How about 'LN2 bucket challenge'? well maybe not a bucket but a cup of LN2 is suffice for the challenge :D
The hospitals would be overloaded with cold burns xD.

Back