Also new to gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkid

hey, i have friends that having gaming computers and i wanted to get my own. I decided to order from IBuypower.com and i customized my PC. Please tell me if what i got is good for gaming.

Case ( Standard ATX Mid-Tower Case w/350W Power Supply [no side window] Black/Silver 2-Tone )

Case Lighting ( None )

Power Supply ( Standard Case Power Supply )

Processor ( AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )

Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )

Motherboard ( MSI K9N4 SLI-F NVIDIA nForce 500-SLI MCP Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB )

Memory ( 1024MB [512MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )

Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 7100GS With TurboCache Supporting 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )

Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )

Hard Drive ( 250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )

2nd Hard Drive ( None )

External Raid Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )

CD/DVD Drive ( None )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Beige )

Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Floppy Drive ( None )

Monitor ( LCD Monitor Viewsonic 20" Widescreen Q20wb TFT LCD Monitor 1680x1050 w/Fast 5ms Video Rsponse [Black] )

2nd Monitor ( None )

Keyboard ( PS/2 104 Key Windows 98 Keyboard Beige )

Mouse ( Logitech Optical Internet Mouse Black )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )

Meter Display ( None )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Beige )

Operation System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )

Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( None )

IEEE-1394 Fire Wire Card ( None )

USB Flash Drive ( None )

TV Tuner ( None )

Video Camera ( None )

Headset ( None )

Power Protection ( None )

Printer ( None )

Printer Cable ( None )

Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Please let me know if what i got is good for gaming.

Also, I am also thinking about getting a wireless internet. Do you guys think that this is a good choice for gaming? Thank you

I cannot recommed wireless to anyone.

To put it simply, wireless is half the speed of internet through a cable, because cables can send/receive data at the same time.

However, wireless sends, acknowledges, then receives. So no, do not get that. I recommend some form of broadband.

And whats the pricing of the pc you bought?

edit: Wireless is used for laptops and convenience. Scour the internet with it, nothing more.

nkid check out newgg.com, they are cheap, try to make the same pc there, i bet it will be cheaper. i got a whole pc by parts from them and the shiping was $30 for ups ground

ok thanks. But im still wondering about the computer parts and if i need to upgrade any for good gaming.

Maybe a better graphics card too. No offence to the 7100 but the higher end of the 7 series are really impressive. Especially if you're using XP. If you've moved to Vista however, then possibly looking at the 8 series.
Some of the 8 series are very competitively priced for the power they output

Like mentioned above, try to stick to wired internet.

Also, like mentioned above, you'd need a bigger graphics card if you're going to game. At least get the 7600Gt. This is a case where the more you spend, the better it is.

Even with the 7600Gt, when playing newer titles, you'd have to tune down the eye-candy and still expect some lag. With the 7100, you might just be able to play solitaire without lag.

The 7100 and 7200 are meant to be workstation graphics solutions, ie: enough to run office apps, movies, animations, etc. NOT games. 3D applications are not what they are designed for, which is why they falter even with Windows Vista's Aero.

my mom and dad have a hp computer and have 2048mb for the memory, 250gb hard drive, and a NVIDIA 6150 LE graphics card, and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4600+ and have a wired internet and i had abosutely no problems on it. But they got mad at the game and didnt let me play it on their computer anymore. So i bought my own

If you found the 6150 powerful enough for your needs, then by all means, get the 7200, not the 7100. The 7200 was a huge jump in performance compared to the 6150, so you'll definitely be happy with the 7200.

I'm not sure how the 7100 performs, but I think you can afford the extra 5-10 bux (I think) it'll cost for the upgrade...

I agree with CMH, the small amount of money it costs for the upgrade is definitely worth the jump in technology

ok thx, but just out of curiosity, is the 6150 better than the 7100? And is the 4200 processor a big change from the 4600 processor?

Not sure about that comparison.

As for the processors, I'd say don't worry about it. Your graphics card will bottleneck any performance far before your CPU would ever do so.

In fact, you can probably get away with single core 3xxx processors as well. Assuming all you do is play WoW (and office apps, mp3, DVD, surfing). If you need CPU power (say... video editing, CAD, calculating planet trajectories...), then you might want to invest in something much bigger....

ok ill look at what other CPU's are available at my budget. But i have another question. Since i can only spend what money i have at the moment i just want to make sure that when i order my PC that i will be able to make upgrades on my computer as i earn the money.

To the best of my knowledge, no, the 6150 is not better than the 7100

edit: However, I'm no Nvidia tech. Read some reviews/comparisons between the two. A simple search on google should give you some information regarding it.

Methinks he's going for the socket AM2, so that would let you upgrade to the Athlon 6000 (maybe a little higher), but they're already coming out with the AM2+ (or is it out already), so chips utilizing that probably won't be compatible.

Also, I forgot to check, but you might be looking at the nVidia 7100 because its integrated. If it is, make sure the board supports PCIe x8 at least, so that it supports PCIe graphics cards. PCIe x8 slots should be able to accommodate PCIe x16 cards.

And also, we neglected the whole PSU. Don't skimp on that, because you'd just be coming here with weird problems, and end up buying a new one anyway. Get the Antec TP2 500W, I think they're going pretty cheap these days.

Do you build computers? As mentioned before you can probably get the same comp by buying parts of newegg.com and assembling it yourself at a lesser price. Also, what is your budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back