alternative os

Status
Not open for further replies.

momsgonelooney

my friend bought a used comp. and discovered the xp os is illegal. is there a free alternative os to xp that i can dl and put on disc for her? she has searched and can not find xp anywhere to buy and vista is way too much.

well she could use Linux, but if she has certain windows programs to run this will do her no good, but it will give her a functional computer, to get it go to

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

this is a user friendly version of linux she could proboly get used to (unless she wants certain windows based apps... i use ubuntu everyday and i love it!

Only way you are gonna get Windows legally is to pay for it...

If you just do Office stuff/internet/IM/email/and videos Ubuntu will be just fine.

Yes, the only way to get Windows is to buy it, or buy a computer with it. You can get OEM versions of the software quite cheaply, though.

yes react os will be great. WHEN ITS FINISHED, its still in alpha i wouldnt use it everyday, but this might be the only free answer to windows

yet with a 20mb install download it might be a pretty cool little thing to have on hand

you can still buy XP/Pro on the Internet -- just be sure you get the FULL RETAIL
version if you expect to perform an UPDATE in preference to a CLEAN install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back