TechSpot

Am i able to upgrade my psu and processor?

By thejoeac
Sep 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I recently bought a computer which I will primarily use for work and web browsing, but would also like to play the occasional game. I would like to know if upgrading my psu and processor will help if it's possible and what to upgrade to. My system information: Operating System is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit System model is Packard Bell Bv Istart Processor: 3.07 Gigahertz intel pentium 4

Somebody has already told me the following.

'Your motherboard has a PCI-e 16x port. It will accept any almost any graphics card out there. But your CPU will bottleneck anything that will play games decently.
    Also, the PSU with these pre-built PC is often of quality just enough for the system in question. You won't be able to put a mid-range graphics card in it, even previous generation ones.

If you want to use this PC for a little gaming, a Radeon 6570 will do. It does not require additional power connectors. It might still be more than your CPU can handle, but its around the lowest card you can get.

Still, if you can, you can built a nice little gaming PC that can run modern games for around $600.'

2. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

Packard Bell PCs are notoriously hard to upgrade, I think because they use non-standard power supply and case connectors, like some Dells. Such an old system is not worth spending money on (I tried the same thing a couple years ago with a high-end Dell Pentium 4, and it was a waste of time and money - bottlenecks, freezes, BSODs, etc). I would start with a cheap socket 1155 board and an i3 or i5 processor, then it would be worth adding a decent video card and power supply.

3. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 889   +171

The information that someone told you is pretty much correct. What sort of budget did you have for upgrades?

4. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.