Am i able to upgrade my psu and processor?

I recently bought a computer which I will primarily use for work and web browsing, but would also like to play the occasional game. I would like to know if upgrading my psu and processor will help if it's possible and what to upgrade to. My system information: [FONT=Verdana]Operating System is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]System model is Packard Bell Bv Istart[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Processor: 3.07 Gigahertz intel pentium 4[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Somebody has already told me the following. [/FONT]

'[FONT=Verdana]Your motherboard has a PCI-e 16x port. It will accept any almost any graphics card out there. But your CPU will bottleneck anything that will play games decently.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Also, the PSU with these pre-built PC is often of quality just enough for the system in question. You won't be able to put a mid-range graphics card in it, even previous generation ones.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]If you want to use this PC for a little gaming, a Radeon 6570 will do. It does not require additional power connectors. It might still be more than your CPU can handle, but its around the lowest card you can get.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Still, if you can, you can built a nice little gaming PC that can run modern games for around $600.'[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Packard Bell PCs are notoriously hard to upgrade, I think because they use non-standard power supply [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]a[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]nd case [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]connectors, like some Dells. Such an old system is not worth spending money on (I tried the same thing a couple years ago with a high-end Dell Pentium 4, and it was a waste of time and money - bottlenecks, freezes, BSODs, etc). I would start with a cheap socket 1155 board and an i3 or i5 processor, then it would be worth adding a decent video card and power supply.[/FONT]

The information that someone told you is pretty much correct. What sort of budget did you have for upgrades?

Back