TechSpot

Am I doing something wrong?

By Starsky303
Jan 7, 2008
  1. Hi all,

I posted a thread regarding 'in-game movie stuttering' a couple of days ago as I was getting stuttering when watching in-game movies, mainly on Gears of War although I've noticed it on other in-game movies and intro/branding/logo sequences too (all games run fine by the way).

I think I found out what it was but I'm not sure...
    I think it has something to do with me overclocking my CPU.

I'm currently clocked at 3.31GHz (366FSB) which is giving me a memory reading of DDR2-733. Memory timings are set to 5-5-5-15 giving me a 1:1 ratio which is what I've been after for ages... but I don't really know why, I've just heard that it's good to have a 1:1 ratio!

If I reset the FSB to 266, my memory goes to DDR2-800 (which is also good isn't it?) but I get a ratio of 5:6 yet when I play any ingame movie including Gears of War... it's fine, runs smooth!

So... Am I doing something wrong? (I'm thinking, 'yes')

Please help me figure out if I'm overclocking my machine correctly! I'm a bit of a noob to this but that's why I'm here!

Many thanks!

Asus P5KC
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (OC'd to 3.3GHz) - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX XT
    4GB Corsair DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Dominator
    300GB Maxtor 6B300S0
    SB Audigy Z2
    Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W
    Windows Vista x64

2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Maniac Posts: 579

Have you locked the PCIe bus at 100?

If U have 1066MHz RAM, try adjusting the divider to give you the closest RAM speed to 1066 {otherwise you could have saved your $ and just bought DDR800!}

3. Starsky303

Starsky303 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 70

The PCIe bus is locked at 100. Last night I lowered my divider from 9 to 7 then increased the FSB again. The reading went up to DDR2-900 and the CPU to around 3.12GHz (or there abouts).

When I went to play a game (crysis) the game was really slow (game plays fine normally). I'm not quite sure what I'm doing when overclocking. Why did things slow down after I lowered the divider but increased the FSB?

4. Starsky303

Starsky303 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 70

Even though BIOS reads DDR2-733, CPU-Z says that each stick of RAM is operating at 533. Does that mean that they're running at 1066 anyway? (533x2)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.