Amazon Dash Button makes one-click ordering even easier

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon dash button prime dash amazon dash amazon dash button one click ordering

Amazon has introduced a new product it’s calling the Dash Button that allows users to reorder household items with the simple press of a button. April Fool’s Day gag or the real deal? Probably the latter.

The Dash Button is a small piece of hardware designed to stick or hang virtually anywhere you use household products on a regular basis. Nearly out of paper towels in the kitchen? Simply press the Dash Button to order more Bounty rolls. Running low on laundry detergent? The Tide Dash Button can help with that.

Initially thought to be an early April Fool’s Day gag, Amazon has simply put too much time and effort into this product for it to be phony. It carries the same Dash branding as other products designed to make ordering easier and is a natural extension of the one-click ordering users are familiar with.

Each Dash Button is set up through the Amazon mobile app. Once connected to your Wi-Fi network, a single button press is all it takes to place an order using your default address and payment method. Repeated button presses will be ignored (take that, kids) until the first order is delivered.

Amazon has partnered with a number of big-name brands including Clorox, Glad, Izze, Cottonell, Olay and Huggies on the effort. The move reiterates the notion that Amazon is willing to take risks in the hardware sector but let’s hope it does better than the Fire Phone.

Dash Buttons will be handed out initially on an invite-only basis to Prime Members completely free of charge. Look for them to arrive this fall.

Permalink to story.

Because my phone app is so hard to open up...

Neat, but meh. I don't want a bunch of ugly dongles hanging around all my stuff.

I signed up for it. I can definitely put one on my washer and in my garage when I need to buy fuel for my mower and weed killer.

Because my phone app is so hard to open up...

Neat, but meh. I don't want a bunch of ugly dongles hanging around all my stuff.
considering it will most likely be hanging with all of the ugly stuff that you don't want to see anywhere, I don't see the problem. The laundry detergent thing is something I might actually use. I forget to pick that stuff up all the time. If I could hit a button when I'm getting low and have another arrive at my door before I run out that'd be awesome.

Back