Amazon is working with the US Postal Service to deliver groceries

By Shawn Knight
Sep 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon is in the middle of a 60-day trial in which it's relying on the US Postal Service to deliver groceries from its AmazonFresh service to select residents in the San Francisco area. Specifically, the postal service has been delivering...

Read more
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I think by nationwide they mean 'select cities'. I doubt any city with less than 250-500k will ever see this (at least not in the next 10-15 years).
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I'm more cautious with buying groceries. I'd never order groceries from an online outlet, no matter what the population of my town/city.
  4. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

Maybe amazon should try to negotiate with the u.s. government to take over u.s. postal service.
    (the Philippine postal service, from what I 'read', is a government and private company partnership.)
  5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,378   +2,167

Why? Their stuff is going to be sourced from the same places as what you pick up at the grocery store. Hell, it'll probably be shipped to the pickup location by the same trucking company.
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,551   +595

I have some good friends who tried the Amazon Grocery thing on a whim, expecting it to be a bad service. They tell me the produce is better than what they would have picked for themselves and the delivery is extremely prompt and pricing is very competitive. Since that first try, they haven't been to a grocery store since - they order exclusively from Amazon.

As far as this USPS experiment, I think it will be short-lived. That organization is one step away from folding. If it weren't for government subsidies, they would have gone belly-up years ago.
    davislane1 likes this.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

The main reason USPS is in dire straits is because they used to be the title sponsor of Lance Armstrongs' cycling team who blew all the dough on an expensive drug habit.
  8. trparky

trparky TS Booster Posts: 151   +54

No, the main reason USPS is in dire straits is because Congress likes to treat it like it's their own private piggy bank that they can smash on the ground whenever they need money.
    enrdave lindner likes this.
  9. The government does not give any subsides to USPS.....Congress governs what they can do as far as raising postal rates..but they do not bail them out in anyone what so ever. If they did...they wouldn't be cutting hundreds of jobs, cutting hourly pay jobs, closing down post offices. If the government did for USPS what they did for GM.....there wouldn't be any financial issues!!
    enrdave lindner likes this.
  10. Donald A Noury

Donald A Noury TS Rookie

I worked for the U.S.P.S. back in the 70s, as a part time clerk,carrier,our Postmaster at the time had me pick up his groceries on my rounds,if I refused,he would cut my hours,this was nothing but a dictator,and there was nothing I could do about it. Give the postal service back to the government, ask for a bail-out!
  11. enrdave lindner

enrdave lindner TS Rookie

The PO gets no government subsidies. Please educate yourself and know what you are talking about before commenting.
  12. The Post Office does not get government subsides.