TechSpot

Amazon launches a new customizable 3D printing store

By Justin Kahn
Jul 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon has now launched a new "on-demand" 3D Printer Store, that doesn't only sell printers but also a wide range of customizable 3D printed items. Customers can purchase everything from bobble head-like dolls, jewelry, home decor items, toys, games, tech...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,941   +899

Great to see a big retailer endorsing 3D-printing. Maybe this will increase its popularity and eventually help lower prices. The problems I have noticed with 3D-printers are that they are slow as heck. It took me like 2 hours to print a small model of a hydrogen atom... and I am using the newest Makerbot model. They need some work but I feel like it really has potential to revolutionize tons of industries.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,784   +539

The good news about 3D printers is that the time to print something doesn't depend on the object's complexity. It will need the same time to print a simple sphere as it will to print a complex mechanical piece or the whole unit, as long as the size of the object is about the same.

That's why 3D printers are best used for printing something complex. It is easier then to justify the wait ;)
    JC713 likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,941   +899

Yeah it is just the mechanics behind the printer that is holding it back IMO.
  5. avioza

avioza TS Rookie Posts: 55   +15

With the prices they are charging I don't see this as being successful. A little bobblehead figurine for 30 bucks?

Shapeways sells similarly priced items utilizing laser sintering printing, delivering a much more detailed quality product...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.