Amazon now offers 20 percent off new game releases for Prime members

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Amazon on Tuesday sweetened the value of its annual Prime membership by offering 20 percent off pre-order and new video game releases. Naturally, there are some caveats you'll want to be aware of ahead of time.

The deal is valid for all physical video games (digital downloads aren't eligible) during pre-order through two weeks after launch and includes Collector's Editions (console bundles don't qualify). Only games shipped and sold by Amazon are eligible meaning titles sold by third-parties won't get the discount.

Amazon says the savings are automatically applied at checkout so you may not see it reflected on the product page. To determine if a game is eligible for the 20 percent discount, just look for the offer message on the product page.

Do note that the discount is only applied to games that aren't already discounted more than 20 percent. If a title is on sale for more than 20 percent off, Prime members will get the cheaper sale price instead of the discount. If a game is discounted less than 20 percent, subscribers will automatically get the 20 percent off discount instead (there's no stacking).

The move allows the e-commerce giant to better compete with companies like Best Buy and GameStop, both of which already offer membership programs for video game purchases. Amazon's Prime is a bit more comprehensive as it includes an array of perks that extend far beyond game discounts.

Permalink to story.

They're going to have to do better than that. Sites like GreenMan Gaming and cdkeys are offering 25% off of new released.

Best Buy like you stack. Say if there is a sale, you can still get the Gamers Club discount. I get it all the time. Did it with Star Wars Battlefront and CoD BO 3. Got them for $39.99 plus Gamers Club discount. Mine were PC games and my Battlefront was a digital download.

Of course. There other continents and countries on this planet, not just the US surprisingly enough.

I don't buy physical copies so It was a genuine question not a statement and yet you answered me like I made a thinly disguised troll; even if I was misunderstood, I fail to see how you could extort anything inflammatory from it.

I'm not from U.S.

Last edited:
Of course. There other continents and countries on this planet, not just the US surprisingly enough.

I don't buy physical copies so It was a genuine question not a statement and yet you answered me like I made a thinly disguised troll; even if I was misunderstood, I fail to see how you could extort anything inflammatory from it.

I'm not from U.S.
Unlike books (which I have found at times hardback copies are cheaper than Kindle!!!!!) I often find the digital download cheaper via Steam or elsewhere so have really shied away from physical copies for PC. Although for single player console games I'm now back to physical copies more of the time as I swap with friends which, other than Steam with its lending library feature I'm not sure you can do with other platforms.

This discount doesn't seem to be live in amazon.co.uk, so guess it's US region only at the moment.

Is this a us only deal or are they offering this internationally? I buy most ny games on steam but occasionally pick up new console releases probably one or two a year Max tho.

I'm not from U.S.
The way you asked the question was like asking " Do desktop PC's still exist?.. I have no idea because I haven't used one in years, I only use tablets and phones thesedays".
You may have a high speed, uncapped and unshaped internet connection but the vast majority of people don't, their only solution is to buy a physical copy.

Back