Amazon offers Prime members a $1 video credit to choose slower shipping

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon prime amazon amazon instant video no rush shipping

Amazon Prime's bread and butter is without a doubt its free two-day and cheap overnight shipping options. But what if you're ordering something and you have little desire to get it ASAP? Up to this point, there's really been no reason not to use the free two-day option over standard shipping but that's no longer the case.

The online e-commerce giant has launched a new promotion in which they'll give you a $1 Amazon Instant Video credit if you select the new free, no-rush shipping option during checkout.

As the name suggests, the new option is indeed slow. A quick check just now shows an estimated delivery date of late next week at the earliest for a product ordered today whereas the item would arrive on Monday with standard shipping, Friday with free two-day shipping and tomorrow for a small additional fee.

The offer likely won't be enough of an incentive in the event you need or want your purchase right away - after all, that's what Prime is for, right? I'm as impatient as anyone when it comes to delivery but there are some scenarios I can think of where such an offer would be worth it.

Amazon points out that this is a limited time offer. It's also worth noting that the credit is only valid through October 31 although that date may be extended depending on when you place an order.

Permalink to story.

If they bumped the credit to, say, $3 or $5 I'd be all over slow shipping. As it stands, a $1 credit won't buy you much.

Or if it could be used for something else, maybe digital music or kindle purchase. That way its still something electronic and less 'real', but still allows some benefit to others that may not ever watch a movie/tv show from Amazon.

Wonder if this is any way tied to the substantially lower than expected Q2 earnings report.

They are hard pressed to get members such as myself. Members that choose slower shipping because it cost less.

...[ ]....Wonder if this is any way tied to the substantially lower than expected Q2 earnings report.
No, this is what happens when the FAA slaps you on the wrist and won't let you put a fleet of toy helicopters into controlled airspace.

Back