Amazon Prime membership now includes unlimited cloud storage for photos

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon prime amazon cloud photos unlimited cloud storage

Those looking for yet another reason to sign up for Amazon Prime (or those looking for yet another reason to keep the service following a price hike earlier this year) may be interested to know that membership benefits now include free, unlimited photo storage.

With Prime Photos, members will be able to upload photos from a wide variety of devices – Android and iOS devices, Fire tablets and Fire Phone, and Windows and Mac computers – directly to Amazon’s cloud service.

amazon prime amazon cloud photos unlimited cloud storage

Most major image file types are supported including JPEG, GIF, most common TIFFs, RAW, PNG and BMP (individual files must be 2GB or less). It’s worth pointing out that videos can also be saved through the same process although they (and other non-image file types) will count towards the available limit of your Cloud Drive which is 5GB by default (additional storage can be purchased for a fee).

Uploaded photos can be viewed at any time from nearly any device including Amazon Fire TV, the recently-announced Fire TV Stick, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and select LG and Samsung smart TVs.

Amazon obviously isn’t the first major tech company to offer a cloud storage option such as this but it’s perhaps the most attractive as competitors like Apple, Facebook, Flickr and Google all have some type of restriction or another as it relates to image uploads.

Permalink to story.

Except Microsoft just announced unlimited storage for Office 365 users. That means that unlimited storage from a company that is more experienced costs 6.99-9.99 depending on how many computers you need office on. They also upped the file size restriction to 10GB which means movies go there just fine.

Oh goody! Now I'll be able to throw away all my silly multi-terabyte hard drives, then pay Amazon to keep my photos safe.....!(y)

You wouldn't need all those hard drives if you stopped taking 3 gigapixel selfies of your Crank and just used a smartphone like the rest of us everyone else.

You wouldn't need all those hard drives if you stopped taking 3 gigapixel selfies of your Crank and just used a smartphone like the rest of us everyone else.
What are you trying to say, "you turn all those captaincrankys upside down they ll look alike"? Well maybe so, but I'm shooting for "expression"....!

Or as Henri Cartier Bresson put it, "the decisive moment".:p

Besides, Christmas is coming, and I have to have something to put on the family card.(y)

Back