TechSpot

Amazon streaming box to ship with Netflix and Hulu Plus apps "any day now"

By Shawn Knight
Mar 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon's long-rumored streaming box is expected any day now. But here's something new: it won't just arrive with support for the company's own streaming service. Instead, the box will come prepackaged with Netflix and Hulu Plus apps according to multiple...

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

I'm surprised they didn't just try to buy Roku.

3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Is it just me or does everyone else not see a reason for this device. I just can't decide why this device is needed since I feel at least 3/4 of devices in this day and age (Probably more) can already do the Netflix and Hulu+ streaming. Now as far as the Amazon streaming service thats going ot be the feature presentation of this device, but im curious if it can even compete with the others in this category.

I dunno, maybe im missing the point of this device but based on the listed feature/up coming features I just dont see this being successful.

4. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

I remember people saying the same thing about the kindle fire series, look how that turned out. I think amazon has shown they can bring good products to the market at prices that force everyone else to compete with them changing the costs in the markets they choose.

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

Too little too late. Streaming services are available EVERYWHERE.

6. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

I don't know what Amazon is trying to pull here. Truthfully, they should give the box away for free to all Prime subscribers. Even more truthful, I have streaming coming out of every orifice; my PC, my game consoles, my Roku, and my sorry Blu-Ray player that I play once in a blue moon. Others have streaming televisions which, in my opinion, will simply be standard and replace streaming devices in any other form.

"I remember people saying the same thing about the kindle fire series, look how that turned out."

Here's another streaming device that makes the Amazon box more irrelevant.

7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Maybe NOW they can work on the Android tablet/handsets version of Amazon Streaming Player?

8. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Booster Posts: 206   +30

Non confirmed eta non confimed price, might as well say its powered by a nuclear cmos battery to

9. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 253   +19

Marketing yet another streaming device will be a tough row to hoe. GL Amazon.