TechSpot

Amazon to begin streaming 4K content in October

By Scorpus
Aug 29, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. In the lead-up to IFA 2014, Samsung has announced that one of its content partners, Amazon, will soon begin streaming 4K content to its Ultra HD TVs through a dedicated Instant Video app. Although Amazon Instant Video isn't available in...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +108

8K just so close and 4K just finding it's way to a small number of customers. Still 1080i/p is still popular because prices have dropped so low making them more ideal. OTA - (over-the-air) is still 1080i Digital Dolby) I don't see it moving to 4K just yet.. Netflix streams in 4K but like I say I only use 1080i/p HDTV's here along with 1080p Computer Monitors. Don't see any plans going 4K until transparent tech OLED start coming out then everything changes into that tech. By then 8K should be more mainstream and 4K might even be worth getting since prices will drop also.

Time will tell!

rub900 likes this.
  3. Whats with all these streaming places increasing the bandwidth use by offering higher quality streams when we have these wars with ISP over this going on. They should be working on resolving the current bandwidth issues before offer things that use more. According to Comcast Verizon an others they cant deal with all the streaming bandwidth we currently have. I used to be on the side of the streamers but I starting to see that its not entirely the ISPs fault. these sites are offering to much bandwidth faster then the ISPs can upgrade.

MikeAcker likes this.
  4. tipstir

They need to just do what the ISP can manage and not go overboard. Most of this would require 500 mbps to 1GBps in download speed, but that's very costly for most and I am not buying into it. 4K not high on my priority list yet..

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 640   +56

They should focus on internet infrastructure. 'Amazon Fibre' anyone?

6. The future waits for no one. Adapt and evolve or be left behind.

7. MikeAcker

MikeAcker TS Enthusiast Posts: 30

I vote for this. even on 1080p I see a lot of flat-spotting in the images where the color isn't shaded through properly. we need G-Bit fiber on the last mile. but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

8. tipstir

By the time everything get the next full format change it might be 8K so right around the corner. 4K with what's available for it limited to the 1080i/1080p more people have this now then the 720p. Netflix just wasting money where it could be use to keep the prices monthly lower than trying to raise it for higher to pay for 4K format.