Amazon to open brick-and-mortar store in NYC in time for the holidays

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon manhattan store brick and mortar

Amazon already has an extensive collection of fulfillment centers, lockers and pop-up shipping containers scattered across the country. Soon enough, the online retail giant will be able to add a physical brick-and-mortar store to its resume if a new report from The Wall Street Journal proves accurate.

The publication claims Amazon is planning to open a store right in the heart of New York City on 34th Street near Macy’s flagship store and the Empire State Building. The store will operate as a mini-warehouse with limited inventory for same-day delivery within the Big Apple. The storefront is also expected to accept product returns and exchanges.

A physical store, especially in the heart of New York City, seems like an odd choice for Amazon but as Wells Fargo analyst Matt Nemer points out, it’s all about marketing the Amazon brand.

Amazon may also use some of the space as a showroom for its Kindle e-readers and various Fire-branded devices like the Fire TV set-top box and the ill-fated Fire smartphone. Displaying branded products seems like a foregone conclusion although those familiar with the plans said Amazon is still undecided.

Sources said the brick-and-mortar store largely boils down to an experiment for Amazon. Up to this point, the company has become a household name without any major retail presence. Adding in costs like leases, paying employees and managing inventory could prove to have too much of an impact on Amazon’s already thin margins if they went nationwide with the plans.

We’re told that the store is slated to open in time for the holidays.

Permalink to story.

Wait... so the e-commerce behemoth who's been putting brick-and-mortar shops out of business for a decade is now building an actual store?! I'd expect this story on April 1st maybe, but not today.

I know they have to keep growing and they need something. What else have they done? The Amazon Kindle does alright, doesn't it? But their phone is a joke. Their website is the go-to place for low quality knockoffs. Sure, the prices are great, and you can get free shipping sometimes, but plenty of their stuff is fake... you can't buy anything without reading through reviews.

What do you mean by "plenty of their stuff is fake"?
Seconded.

I've been buying stuff off of Amazon for years, no problems.

I should have been more specific, and I shouldn't exaggerate... some (not plenty) of their electronics stuff is fake. What happens is knockoff brands use the same SKU numbers as the real products and they all get mixed in the bins together. When you buy something like a phone charger for example, you may or may not get what you think you're buying. I once bought an HTC charger, the thing looked exactly like the ones I had gotten with my phones, but it charged my phone at half the speed. I plugged it into a KillaWatt and found that it was drawing only 3 watts instead of 5 like my other HTC chargers.
Here's a news story about it I found quickly... I think Techspot had a story too at one point.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-struggling-to-keep-counterfeits-off-market-retailer-says/

What do you mean by "plenty of their stuff is fake"?
Seconded.

I've been buying stuff off of Amazon for years, no problems.

I should have been more specific, and I shouldn't exaggerate... some (not plenty) of their electronics stuff is fake. What happens is knockoff brands use the same SKU numbers as the real products and they all get mixed in the bins together. When you buy something like a phone charger for example, you may or may not get what you think you're buying. I once bought an HTC charger, the thing looked exactly like the ones I had gotten with my phones, but it charged my phone at half the speed. I plugged it into a KillaWatt and found that it was drawing only 3 watts instead of 5 like my other HTC chargers.
Here's a news story about it I found quickly... I think Techspot had a story too at one point.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-struggling-to-keep-counterfeits-off-market-retailer-says/

In about a decade of buying first books and now everything else from them I am yet to receive a knockoff item. I've seen reviews stating that people received a fake item, but those typically relate to Amazon Marketplace vendors.

I guess they're going after the physical Walmart's and Target's now. I'm indifferent, and have no use for a physical store.

However, I wish they'd focus less on expansion and focus more on streamlining the site, revamping their search features (far too irrelevant results) and do something about the over use of USPS with Amazon Prime.

Pay extra for 2 day delivery, lucky if USPS shows up the same week.

Back