Amazon turns your car into a mobile delivery address for packages

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon audi ecommerce package delivery delivery trunk dhl munich

Drones aren’t the only experimental delivery method Amazon is interested in. In addition to standard doorstep and locker delivery, the e-commerce giant will soon be trialing a program in which packages will be left in the trunk of your car.

Testing gets under way next month for select Amazon Prime subscribers living in Munich that also happen to drive an Audi. As the Financial Times notes, Amazon is partnering with courier DHL on the pilot in which drivers will get one-time keyless access to the trunk of a customer's car.

Because the delivery driver won’t have access to the rest of the car (nevermind the fact that many cars have trunk access through the back seating area), additional insurance by Amazon won’t be necessary.

Customers will give a rough approximation of where their car is located and provide a desired drop-off time (while you’re picking up groceries or at work, for example). Once located and the trunk is popped, DHL workers will place the shipment in the trunk and pick up any other boxes marked for return to Amazon.

The service is being limited to Audi vehicles primarily for the fact that they offer third-party access to the trunk area. If the method catches on, it’s likely that we could see other automakers add the feature to new models or perhaps offer to retrofit existing vehicles.

Permalink to story.

I agree... Heck no! I don't care what it is, etc. I don't need slimy DHL/UPS/etc. people in my car (actually my local UPS guy is really nice, but you get the point.)

It's an interesting concept, but of extremely limited use. There aren't many situations where having an item tossed into your trunk is advantageous to having it delivered to your home.

I don't understand some of the comments. While I don't really understand the concept or desire behind wanting this. There really is no difference in where the package is delivered. If I didn't want the package delivered to my vehicle, I wouldn't want the package delivered to my home either.

I don't understand some of the comments. While I don't really understand the concept or desire behind wanting this. There really is no difference in where the package is delivered. If I didn't want the package delivered to my vehicle, I wouldn't want the package delivered to my home either.

Delivery drivers don't typically open your front door, come in, and leave your package on the kitchen counter. They leave it on the door step. Most people, at least in my opinion, wouldn't want a stranger opening the trunk of their car to leave a package.

That said, I wonder how long it will take for people to start trolling DHL drivers by putting someone in the trunk that was bound and gagged with duct tape. Could make for some hilarious reaction videos. :)

Your car has a lock just like your home does. Either way it is your choice to allow this service for yourself. There is no reason to prevent it for those who don't care. I for one wouldn't care. I highly doubt the driver would take special interest in any ones personal affairs, as they try hard to keep their daily schedule.

Who'd want a complete stranger scratching around in the boot of their car without the owner in attendance? Amazon can really dream up some crackpot delivery schemes.

I wonder who the first person will be to do this, just so they can falsely shout theft of property.

Everyone here is pointing a finger at the morals of the delivery person, and ignoring the morals of the receiver.

Who'd want a complete stranger scratching around in the boot of their car without the owner in attendance? Amazon can really dream up some crackpot delivery schemes.

People who routinely scratch around inside people's vehicles:

Auto detailers
Mechanics
Children

A DHL employee who can't loot your trunk without leaving irrefutable evidence is the least of a car owner's risks. Besides, who leaves crap in their trunk when they're expecting a delivery? :p

People who routinely scratch around inside people's vehicles:

Auto detailers
Mechanics
Children

A DHL employee who can't loot your trunk without leaving irrefutable evidence is the least of a car owner's risks. Besides, who leaves crap in their trunk when they're expecting a delivery? :p
OK, you've got me, what's an auto detailer?
Why does a mechanic have to scratch around in the boot unless there's a specific task for him to carry out there like changing a tail lamp bulb, a task I'd do myself. Most cars I've owned have come with a service key that only allows access to the cabin and to start the vehicle, that's all the mechanic requires for a routine service.
Children? Yeah. You can't keep them out of most things. I have four grandkids that get into everything the moment I turn my back.
Anyway this effort by Amazon is something I'd never consider. ;)

Basically a specialized car cleaner. It is common for them to take the seats out of the car during the process of cleaning from top to bottom.
Thanks. We call it auto valet. I though davislane was referring to a panel beater, they would require access to the boot/trunk but once it reaches them you've usually cleared the car of your personal contents anyway.

I wonder who the first person will be to do this, just so they can falsely shout theft of property.

Everyone here is pointing a finger at the morals of the delivery person, and ignoring the morals of the receiver.
I considered this too. Either way, not a good idea.

Amazon needs to remember that this is the USA, someone will be shot for breaking into a car at some point.
OMG, seriously!

It's a big delivery truck and a driver wearing service clothing (of which you are expecting), because you made an order and give permission for delivery conditions. How else would they know which vehicle to deliver to?

If someone is so dense and quick to pull the trigger, they deserve to be taken off the streets. Please let someone know of their mental condition, so that they can be removed from society before someone gets hurt.

I guess I'm a bit naive, I didn't realize you could order explosives and have them delivered. I was under the impression you would have to manufacture them meaning in-house hands on. And that is not to mention the scans the device would have to pass while being shipped.

Besides why would that be any different than shipping to a home address?

Back