TechSpot

Amazon wants to give away its smartphone free of charge

By Shawn Knight
Sep 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon’s oft rumored smartphone could eventually arrive as a freebie. That’s right, Amazon is reportedly considering giving their smartphone away free of charge according to unnamed sources as reported by former Wall Street Journal reporters Amir Efrati and Jessica E....

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,948   +381

Well im a happy prime suscriber, so if it had something to do with that id be awesome.
    At the same time I feel bad giving amazon business, as they are still knocking over competition (geeks.com :( )

3. They must be making big $$ on Kindle fire and have found selling hardware at cost or below means profits after sale. Give away the phone and make $$ afterward.

4. Tokido

Tokido TS Rookie Posts: 17

Free phones? Yes please.

5. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I'm interested to see what they do in the market?
    Will the phones be unlocked?
    Will the lock screen display ads on free phones?
    Will the phone have a version of Kindle Fire instead of regular Android etc?

Oh and will they do a watch?! :p (okay I'm 1/4th joking on that one)

6. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

If the monthly bill is free, I'll take it.

7. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Member Posts: 96   +8

I just went to geeks.com. I didn't know they've closed their online stores...

ikesmasher likes this.
  8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

The smartphone cost is not the issue for many. It is the cost of data and cellular service.

9. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

I'd buy that for a dollar. But free is better. :)

10. danhodge

danhodge TS Rookie Posts: 80   +13

Maybe they will sell it at breakeven like the Kindle, but not free, no way. I can't see them doing that at all.

11. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

Yeah, but what's the catch? Read the fine print. Always a catch with these companies. I am about to drop my Amazon Prime, the service is not 100% more like 75% and I don't own a Kindle just over 45 Android Tablets and Smartphone This is my online business programming in Android since 2010.

I see there is a limit to the number of open/read kindle books on Android devices I own. If I pay for the kindle books I should be able to access them on all devices. I gives failed to download messages. Reason I have exceeded my book views.

12. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

A better deal for those on welfare other than the Iphone 5C, better get on it !

13. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,059   +76

14. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

And the smarter the phone, the more the data & cellular service costs.
    We, as the consumer, are not supposed to win, that belongs to to company & shareholders.
    Ever tried your luck in Vegas?

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

I can see a lot of teary eyed readers. Remember that saying about "free lunches?". It still holds true.

16. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Member Posts: 96   +8

What luck? :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.