AMC is working on an overpriced streaming subscription service (that's only for pay-TV...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AMC is planning to launch a streaming subscription service that would offer commercial-free access to the network’s catalog of hit shows including The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.

Unlike most standalone offerings that can be used by anyone willing to pay, AMC’s offering will reportedly be available exclusively to cable and satellite TV subscribers. What’s more, it won’t be cheap.

Sources familiar with the matter tell Reuters that AMC is considering pricing the subscription service between $4.99 and $6.99 per month.

Paying to eliminate advertising is common in the world of subscription services but this just seems like an ill-informed, tough sell. That price point is in the same ballpark as CBS All Access which charges $5.99 a month (or $9.99 per month for an ad-free experience). HBO charges significantly more for its standalone app ($14.99 per month) although neither CBS nor HBO come with the prerequisite of being a pay-TV subscriber.

Not catering to cord cutters, a growing demographic, seems like a misstep.

Sources say AMC is also discussing the idea of featuring digital-only spin-off shows of existing programs like The Walking Dead as part of the service. If we’re being real here, who really cares? AMC isn’t going to pump much money into content that’s viewed by a limited audience so it’s not as if this would be must-see programming.

Unless the proposed price comes down significantly (like to the $1-2 per month range), I can’t see AMC generating much interest here. While I commend them on having several hit shows, it feels as though there has to be a better way to try and monetize the content that actually makes sense for the consumer.

Permalink to story.

People are only gonna tolerate so many subscriptions a month. Heck my only subscriptions are spotify, netflix, amazon prime, and xbox live, and id still prefer to have less. Hopefully this trend of every freaking company launching their own wont take off much farther.

Yeah, that's a very good question ..... but to think that people are going to load up on subscription services it beyond silly, it's just plain dumb ....

We are going to see more TV networks fight this trend and try to stick with cable subscriptions but it will all end horrible for them. They must either change or die. Hulu, Netflix and Pandora are already getting to be a pain to me, it'll be a cold day in H*ll that I'll add anotherone

We are going to see more TV networks fight this trend and try to stick with cable subscriptions but it will all end horrible for them. They must either change or die. Hulu, Netflix and Pandora are already getting to be a pain to me, it'll be a cold day in H*ll that I'll add anotherone

Anyone who makes it 1yr without any of them will never turn back. Once you pass that mark, television seems like some ancient technology you were supposed to read about in archaeology class.

Anyone who makes it 1yr without any of them will never turn back. Once you pass that mark, television seems like some ancient technology you were supposed to read about in archaeology class.
I haven't had cable TV, well, ever, but more importantly I haven't even had the old rabbit ears connected for the last 3 years.

when I tell people that, they act like I grew a second head. How on earth do you survive without cable?!??

TV is mostly bland BS these days. Although, at this point, I'm close to giving up netflix, tired of my shows dissapearing at will. Dont have any subs to music of hulu, and dont subscribe to console online either. Feels good man.

As long as they don't remove their own content from other streaming/licensed partners, like Netflix, this news just went in one ear and out the other.

I don't understand how people pay to watch adverts every 5-10 minutes (depends on the country) in between the programs that they want to watch. The number of subscriptions are getting out of hand so people will start preferring multi-use ones like Amazon Prime over single use single channel ones like HBO. In Blighty you need a license to watch TV, wish is absurd. I would rather pay that money to my local library, oh wait, I already do that... taxes!

The only people who would be interested in the service are cord cutters, but they aren't offering it to them? *****ic.

Another fraud that still requires you to submit to getting jacked for $150 a month by Comcrap or Spanktrum.

And we can all thank Trump and his industry puppet Ajit Pai for the end of Net neutrality, any hope of cable-box competition, and online privacy.

Back