AMD 2400+ Showing as 1800+

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really confusing me !

Firstly i have read the recognise your AMD processer thread & the processers in Question are definatly XP2400+ & XP2800+ although i am a noob at this so please be gentle with me :D

At home i have an mesh computers AMD XP 2400+ & i have just tried to upgrade the Processer to an XP 2800+ by just placing the new processer in place. But when i boot it up it shows as a XP 2000+ this is really Odd i think (maybe you know better)

Also i have taken my 2400+ & tried to put it in the machine that was running the 2800+ (Again by just replacing the processer) & it is telling me it is an AMD XP 1800+ ? i cant figure out what is going on here why are they not recognising the processers correctly

Also i have used Cpuid on the later test & even that say's it's a XP1800+

Please any help is really appreciated as this is an area i would love to start learning

You have set the wrong Front Side Bus speed in your BIOS it is now at 133mhz but should be 166mhz

If you really want to learn i will point you in the right direction for your problem, look into FSB settings, clock multiplyers, read your mobo manual for adjusting these, some use jumpers, some use the bios.
Good luck and if you get totally confused you have chosen the best site on the net for helping you.

Welcome :)

how do i change clock Multiplyers i have seen this mentioned but can't find anything of the like it under Bios i have 2400+ in front of me & have tried it under FSB 133 & 166 & it doesn't seem to make a differance

Some info from the CPU - Z on the Old 2800+ now running the 2400+ & Showing as an 1800+

Codeanme : Thoroughbred (dunno if this effects it ) Green
Core Speed: 1492
multiplier : x15
FSB : 99.5
Bus Speed : 198.9

Cache L1 : 64
Cache L2 : 64
Level 2 : 256 bytes

the machine has 256k Ram & is running a GA-7N400E

Just checked my machine at home & it doesn't allow me to change the FSB????:mad: which is set at 133 is there a speicial way to do this or are there any tools i can use to do this without going into the Bios itself ??

Your mainboard might require you to push some switches on the mainboard or move some jumpers... You will have to refer to your motherboard manual

piston broke, sorry for your ordeal. Now that i am back,
be sure your problem is over. see you later.
Bros Fims.

Originally posted by Per Hansson
Your mainboard might require you to push some switches on the mainboard or move some jumpers... You will have to refer to your motherboard manual

My Motherboard is a Asus A7N266 VM/LAN which i don't have a manual for at the moment so i'll try downloading one or summink

Corr i didn't realise changing a processer could be so involved i absolutly love it (hold on i'll reserve that judgment till i succeed)

Damn! i don't think me & a Soldering Iron would be good idea at the moment not at least until i know a little more about what i'm doing :eek:

Can anyone suggest a good mini Mobo that would be suitable for Clocking Etc & as i have a AMD 2800+ in the machine. Also will it undergo any performance Loss compared to my old 2400+ leaving it running at the current incorrect FSB or will it run at about the same speed as the old 2400+ used too (in other words should i put the 2400+ Back?)
I might buy a new Mobo if it means better performance in the Long run(Depends on Cost)

Also could you still advise me on how to correct the problem on the other machine as i change the FSB to 133 but CPU-Z shows it as 99.5 i presume it's being over-ridden by the bios how do get round this ?

P.s Thanks for all your help so far guys i think i'm gonna Enjoy being on this Site & i hope it don't cost me too much :p

Can anyone suggest a good mini Mobo? that would be suitable for Clocking Etc & as i have a AMD 2800+ in the machine

Also As i'm looking at getting a new modded case too So maybe it doesn't have to be a mini Mobo
All suggestions welcome Even modded Cases Etc fans at the moment i'm looking at some stuff on Ebuyer but is there anywhere else better? I think i'm gonna build me a better one :eek:

Look for an nForce 2 board. Doesn't really matter which one. (Personal preference - I recommend ASUS, MSI, Shuttle) As long as it does everything you want it to.

I would keep the 2400 in the a7n266 board.

Bug

onboard_fsb_jumper.png

The A7N266-VM seems to set the FSB via a jumper on the board. Do you have this jumper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back