AMD 4000+ Which one to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks1

Newegg has two different 4000+ processors for sale, one is the clawhammer (0.13 µm) and the other is the san diego (90nm). The clawhammer is more expensive and as far as I can tell the only difference other than the power consumption(the san diego uses less at 1.35v) is the process type. Can anyone explain the different process types and what makes one faster than the other? I am building a gaming computer and am planning on using the 4000+ or maybe an x2. Any advice would be appreciated.

well the sandego has 90nm whitch is cooler and slightly faster, the clawhammer 130nm is worce because its baceky hotter and consumes more power whitch is cooler and slightly faster

if i were you though i would go with a x2 3800-4200 so when games with duel core support come out ( ie C0D 2) you will be able to take advange of it

San Diego core includes SSE3 instructions, an improved memory controller to support mixed memory module sizes and no slowdown from populating all memory slots. It also consumes less power, which in turn means it runs cooler and overclocks better than Clawhammer.

yea......u should just buy an X series...the future sees a lot of new games utilizing the dual core technology so that's where it will all be at...

Socket types

I faced a similar question when spec-ing my computer, but was looking at the 3700. I went with the san diego because it used the 939 socket type, which from what I understand, is more likely to be upgradable in the future. The alternateive clawhammer was a 754 socket type, which I discovered might not be available in the next few years.

John

Definetely go with the San Diego Core
its socket 939 so when the new M2 socket comes out, the 939 dual cores will drop and you can upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back