AMD 64 3200+ wont cool down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

I recently got alot of new equipment for my system, which included a AMD 64 3200+. Now i have checked over the net, and apparently this thing can run at fairly low temps, with resonable fan speeds. Ment to be one of its main features. Well i think mine is excluded from that lol Trying to get this thing to drop temp, it like trying to teach a dog to drive

Now from what i read its usual fan speed sits around 1500rpm sometimes lower, with a temp of around 40-45c. Well mine sits at around 50-55c with a rpm of 3200 . Im sometimes blessed with a 49c lol And no its not overclockd in the least, i only built up the machine 2 days ago

The reason i want this fixed so badly is that the otehr morning there, my room wos bloody freezing. and i turned on teh computer an the thing fired up like a shot. Xp loaded dead quick, an everything seemed to run alot better (the way its ment 2 :p). i went an checked the cpu temp an it was at 45c . I dunno bout you but i dont like the idea of making my room -7c for the computer to run better :p .Dont get me wrong its running fine, but i just want to get the most out of it. Plus i dont know why it has to run so hot all the time (it ALWAYS hangs about 50-55c)

Any ideas anyone? Might be a fiver in it for ya :angel:

My specs are as follows:

MSI RS480M2-IL ATI XPRESS 200 Micro ATX (Socket 939)
AMD 64 3200+ (VENICE)
1024 Ram
Radeon x800le HIM

an heres a screenshot of what everest is sayin (i tried 3 other progs, all say the same) http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1963/fan0ne.jpg

same here except im running an amd xp 3000+
it might be the form factor: micro atx (not enough circulation)(pretty crowded if yuor case is also micro atx)
i really dont know

mine sits at 60 C idle

try to get an atc mobo with a atx case

Is the Heatsink attached with a thermal pad or thermal paste? If it is the latter, you might want to reapply.

max die temp is rated at 70C and your well under that i say screw it because by the time it starts to wear at your processor it will be time to upgrade, people worry bout temps too mutch in my opinion they way i look at it is overclock it. and when it loses stability turn the bus down a touch then do an extensive benchmarks to test stability more, because in the age of processors with this mutch muscle the limitation is the front side bus and not the processor no matter how fast you chip is if it cant access ram fast it wont work at its full potential. bandwith owns and cold chips suck.

yea but i still dont want it running as hot, espeecailly when i saw how it ran when it was at 45c. An yes i would like to oc it but im afraid itll jump up in temp so im no goin there yet lol , Plus this things ment to run nice and cool, yet is running hotter than my old processor which wos oc'd. An this one is alot better (old one wos a sempron 2600+ soc A) . I jus wanna drop the temp at least some.

Does something need to mybye be enabled in the mobo ? although i doubt it whought it may as well check eh lol puke:

oh and how fast can the fan go without bloing up lol cuase i had a feeling that 3300rpm wos a little fast (and at that speed the thing should be alot cooler) :eek:

you can try applying some thermal grease instead of using that TIM. But that shouldnt make any real difference. You'll probably need a better heatsink to dissapate more heat.
I recently installed the Thermaltake CL-P0114 on a system I built with an AMD 4800+ and this guy runs temps about 40c in a poorly ventilated cabinet

This sucker is HUGE!

well i dhuldnt really have to buy something new when its supposed to run at a half decent temp with what its got lol but yea i could try addin sum heatsink on. Would i take teh pad off then add the paste? Or jus put it underthe paste

Although i was thining. since the processor is new is there a chance it might jus need a while to like get settled in ?(cant think of anoterh way of saying it lol)

In all likelyhood the difference of 45c and 50c didn't cause the speed increase you noticed. And you only use a pad OR paste, not both!

It's possible that your hard disks are heating up and causing your issues. Hard disks tend to be forgotten when it comes to cooling and they do get hot.

No i dont thinkt the hard drives are going to hot, i remember checking that when i checked the processor. (same prog) But i will double check when i get home, im at college at the moment :cool: But as for teh fan speed, is 3200rpm a safe speed for it?

james_k1988 said:
But as for teh fan speed, is 3200rpm a safe speed for it?

That really depends on the fan itself. Some fans are rated up to 6000rpm's, others not so much. My guess is that its fine.

Yea teh hard drives are fine, quite cool actaully. Also im noticeing my Ambivient (guessing its the overall system temp) is only 33c , so it seems to be only the processor. Although there is something else thats high which i dont hav a scooby what it is, Although it says its 113c ! :dead:

Here i print screened it so u can see for yourself. its a program called "Speedfan"

http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/9272/hightemp2cs.jpg

im thinking this may hav summit 2 do with it lol although no idea what it is lol ne ideas?

anything running at that temps is going to have problems. But i wonder what it is...it might very well be a conflict with the program, (but speedfan is pretty good) Id use the temps you get from BIOS as the most accurate.

Right i went into the Speedfan config an found it it tells me where it is, what chipset. But its still left me without a clue lol heres wot it says

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5832/remote3ky.jpg

(for those who may have first seen this thread look at last post pic to see what this relates to)

As you can see it seems to be in the same place an address as the cpu. Seems a bit dodgey lol :knock: ne ideas what "bit" that is?

(o i checked my bios, it tells me my cpu is 53c with a fan speed of 3000 (apx) )

Right after i saw it hit that temp i took teh com out an had a look at the cpu. Now for the record before i put teh fan on the cpu there was something on the bottom, A square of grey sticky stuff which i assumed wae the thermal pad (even although it was really really thin)

Now i took teh fan off teh cpu there an it looks like its dissolved to be honest lol
There were jus bits of that grey sticky stuff o teh under of the fan, an on the cpu. I could read teh writing on teh cpu as well it wos that bad lol. But i put some heatsink paste on it ( Unick Silicon Heat Transfer Compound) an it seems to have brought it back down its not sitting at 48-50c which is better than nuthin a guess. But do ya agree this is the problem?

If so let me know an ill jump down to town tomorrow an get some. Thing is ive never had to much experiance with paste to be honest. I usually jus grab whats there out my drawer an slap a little bit on. Its teh squeezy stuff 2 :angel: . Although after looking it seems tehrs a few types, some better than otehrs (an they seem to look like needles lol ). Or i could just get a pad. Any recomendations? :rolleyes:

*EDIT* Its been goin for about half an hour an teh processors startin 2 get warm again , climbed up to 52-53c :( an then back down. I think its jus deliberatly annoyin me lol *

i did try it m8 but i think i doen it wrong, im not 2 gd at doin it lol but i dont have that artic silver stuff, jus sum stuff called Unick Silicone Heat Transfer Compound. That be alright? or shouyld i get some realy stuff lol :blush:

That Unick stuff is very cheap and dunno if it is even recomended for CPU's
In my opinion Arctic Silver 5 is the best, u can also try Arctic Silver Ceramique or Fanner 420.
At AMD they have other recomm:

Attachments

• amd.jpg
    amd.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 9
i think this is the problem...

alright buddy....it sounds like theres one or two things wrong...these are the proper precautions to take when keeping a system cool....

1. Properly ventilated case.
You must have a nice airflow through your case. Meaning, a system that sucks air (hopefully cool air) in through the front of the case and over the hardware, and blows it out of the back....exhausting the hot air. Many times, people will try and get creative and add a million fans into their case, attempting to lower temps, but really it disrupts a nice airflow....Also, location of the case is very important. As you noticed earlier, when you had it in the cooler room, its performance was better. Keep it there, somewhere next to a fireplace is not going to help your cause.

2. Dust. It sounds as though you upgraded your system. I'm not sure how old it was, but dust will OWN electrical quipment. Take some canned air, and blow that baby out. Even if you cant physically see any dust, do this anyways. It can't hurt.

3. The right heatsink. It sounds like you're using the crappy AMD heatsink. These heatsinks are OK, however, I would reccommend something a little more powerful. Essentially, what heatsinks do is take on the heat from the processor, and then pray to be cooled in time to keep a nice temp going. The best heat conductive material for a heatsink is copper, which is not what your AMD heatsink is made out of. The AMD is made out of aluminum, which can do the job, but not as well. I recommend an ALL COPPER heatsink. This is the one I just bought, and it brought down my cpu temp about 5 degrees.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106044R

Note: Keep in mind that this heatsink is HUGE...like, the size of a big softball...if you dont have room in your case, dont try it, but again, this monster will definitely keep that bad boy cooler than it is right now...

3. The proper amount, and right kind of thermal grease.
Thermal grease is extremely important. That cheap stuff you are using is not going to cut it. Run down to Comp USA and pick up some of the Arctic Silver. This is the best stuff on the market, especially for $10.00.

Now, it sounds like you already have applied that other grease you have, so heres what you need to do....
Unscrew the retail aluminum AMD heatsink you are using, and unseat the processor.....
Youre going to need some electronics cleaner, and some canned air....
Now, clean off the processor using a chamois or a paper towel with the electronics cleaner...after there are no signs of the thermal paste left....spray it from a distance with the canned air....dont hold it too close...if you freeze your processor, youre F'ed.....
Now, make sure that its is COMPLETELY dry, and reseat it back onto the motherboard.....

Now that youve got your cpu all clean...you can apply your artic silver...JUST A DABEL DO YA!! Do NOT put too much of this stuff on...it is extremely conductive, and if it leaks out onto your mobo or anything else, you could destroy everything surrounding it....so...just put a small dot of it onto your processor, dont worry, it will be enough....when your heatsink comes down on it, it will smoosh it and provide plenty of surface area.....

Which brings me to point 4....
4. Proper placement of the heatsink. The heatsink must be COMPLETELY FLAT on the cpu....if there is ANY space at all between these two pieces, you are going to experience an increase in heat. (Which is possibly what the current problem is...) Make sure that the heatsink is pressed down all the way, and screwed down to proper tightness....

That enough info for ya? lol

I really hope this helps....Let us know how it goes and write with questions until you're confident!

Chaz D.

thanx for the info m8, it really has helped me out. Unfortinately i messed about with the cpu be4 i read it :blackeye: Heres wot i done

(oh for the record, the side panel of my pc is always off, so i figured that would supply ventilation. An even on that morning when it ran better an the cpu was at 45C, when this chip is normal its ment 2 be at around 37C, so a freezing cold room shoulda made it better lol :stickout: An the coms in my room all teh time, but my room aint always as cold as it was that morning)

Last night , after readin taht artic silver instructions i fired open me case an started fresh. wos gonna clean it all an replace the heatsink paste (jus used that unick crap again). When i looked at the cpu all the thermal stuff, mainly round the edges of the square it had formed , looked like it had hardened an cracked :suspiciou Eitehr way i got it all off. I didnt have any alcohol on its own so i resulted to whiskey (sniff my poor whiskey) an cleaned them both. Coulda been cleaner but it wosnt for gettin better so i just went with it. I put a smidgeon of Unick on , fixed it all up an turned it on.

The temp wos goin kinda nutz, it wosnt goin ne hootter or cooler, but wos jumpin all over the place when i done summit, (bewtween 50-60C)

So today i jumped down to get sum artic silver, fat chance. Shop in my town didnt sell it (ill hopefully get some on thursday when i go in2 glasgow) But i got sum stuff which looked better than what i had. Doesnt have a name though, jus a tube (same to the artic tube thing, cept alot smaller an it wos white). I cleaned it all as best i could again (when i looked at it it looked like the unick stuff had been pushed to teh side 2 be honest, an the center didnt look 2 hav ne sink on it. Hard 2 explain) So i whipped out the old whiskey again (sob) an cleaned it all up as best as.

Now its not jumpin all over which is better than nuthin, an the temp seems to be a bit more resonable now. Still high thoiugh, Just doesnt jump around.

Although someone mentioned summit to me which arose my suspicions, That teh bios sensors may be wrong. So i was asked to get it up to around 60C (which i did) an then turn off teh com, take off teh fan an touch the cpu for heat. I did so an the cpu wosnt warm at all. The gcard wos alot warmer an its reported at 37C. But yea the thing was fine, An accordin to MSI live update my bios is all up to date. Thers alot of bios updates out for my mobo but it said i only needed the one.

I think ill reinstall em all jus 2 check. Ill also try some of teh stuff you said bout the fan m8. Im plannin on gettin a new fan on thursday neways(or mibe tomorro depending) . Ne advice on this?

(But do ya know any otehr way of tellin approximately how hot a cpu is without usin the mobo sensor? I herd of a ther laser thermometer but i cant get one lol i dont think there is but no harm in askin eh ;) )

p.s. sorry for makin my threads as long, but i like 2 make sure i get everything in so that not as much questions get asked lol

you can check the real temps in the BIOS....
i told you everything you need to know about the heatsink in the last thread...i think...

chaz d.

yea i checked the bios, still says its high. actaully ti sasy its higer than what the diagnostic progs say. But id imagine that if the bios wosnt updated correctly, thats would still say teh wrong thing. Ill try updatin all teh bios as much as i can an c how it goes an let ya kno
then ill move on2 tweakin teh heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back