AMD also releases Radeon Software update for Oculus Rift

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD has also released a new Radeon graphics card driver today for those receiving an Oculus Rift. Those who have unboxed their headset already should download the Radeon Software Crimson Edition driver version 16.3.2, which includes support for the Oculus SDK 1.3.

This driver also includes support for the Radeon Pro Duo, which is set to launch in the coming weeks with two Fiji GPUs on the one board. The Pro Duo is specifically designed for virtual reality workloads, both on the creation and consumption sides, so it's no surprise that support for this card coincides with the launch of the Oculus Rift.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.2 includes several updated Crossfire profiles, including one for Hitman in DirectX 11, and one for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Interestingly, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture hasn't been announced for PC yet, with the game only coming out on PlayStation 4 last year, so perhaps AMD has spoiled an announcement with their driver release notes.

As usual you can let Radeon Settings perform an automatic driver update for you, or alternatively you can grab a manual installer from our driver download page here.

Permalink to story.

reviews for the VR headsets or the drivers?

For the VR, mostly. Everything that we've known so far came from either over-excited early adopters or directly interested parties. We need to see the real market reaction to the product.

I hope it will not bum like the over-hyped Leap Monitor did. Surely it has huge potential, it is a question of how ready it is for the public consumption.

For the VR, mostly. Everything that we've known so far came from either over-excited early adopters or directly interested parties. We need to see the real market reaction to the product.

I hope it will not bum like the over-hyped Leap Monitor did. Surely it has huge potential, it is a question of how ready it is for the public consumption.
It does seem like an expensive toy at the moment for sure. At least the controllers could use some improvement.
With most developers already struggling with any kind of camera and movement implementations, I'm not holding my breath on VR. I'll gladly be proven wrong though.

you just have to try it to understand. no amount of "talking" will convince people.
so far the reviews of the Rift have been really positive.

you just have to try it to understand. no amount of "talking" will convince people.
so far the reviews of the Rift have been really positive.

Positive reviews convince people. I will try if the product gets them, I don't really have to do this. So far the reviews have been skewed.

Positive reviews convince people. I will try if the product gets them, I don't really have to do this. So far the reviews have been skewed.
I tried the DK2 and it truly felt like it wasn't just a fad, but I'm not going to get the 1st gen products. After 1 or 2 more years I'll have a much better understanding of how the technology works, what I should be looking for in the headsets and it should also be much cheaper.

Back