AMD Athlon 64 Newcastle Core/MSI K8N Neo3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

Hi, Im gna ask a few questions in one here if you dnt mind :p

I have just replaced my motherboard after my other blew with a MSI K8N Neo3. I bought it mainly cause i got it cheap, looked good, sounded good and had AGP & PCI Express (future).

Im a bit concerened over the temperature the motherboard is reading for the CPU (AMD Athlon 64 Newcastle Core 3400+). It sits idle at around 55C and ive seen it at 59C. im near certain that the other board read its temperature around 45C. Any ideas?

I have a normal sized case with 3 fans blowing cold air IN (one in normal system fan place and 2 at side facing the graphics card). Id like to know should i change the direction of one or more of these fans to reduce the amount of hot air in the case or is more cold air better?

Also what does cool&quiet do? AMD thing. I turned it on and it cause windows the halt and it performed a physical memory dump... i turned it off and it didnt do it?

Is the board i got... MSI K8N Neo3 Gold any good?

Also, what PCI Express graphics card do you recommend i upgrade to in the near future? I will have a budget of around £50 and have a 9700pro 128mb at present.

Id also like to know a stable speed for the newcastle core if i overclock it (3400+) running at 2.4ghz 200fsb. I can add 10 to the fsb with it running fine but am a bit worried because of current temp at normal speed to go any further.

Any/all help is appreciated
Moka

I think that temp is alrite with that CPU, however it wouldn't hurt changing your fan arrangement. I would have the 2 side fans bringing air into the case, and the back 1 blowing heat out the back. All the cool n qiet mode does is use less power, not essential. For your graphics card I would save up some more money and get a radeon X1900GT PCI-E. And for overclocking, you are probaly better not bothering with, as its quite complicated and can blow things if you overclock them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back