AMD athlon 64 x2 5000+??

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsskater892

What about the athlon 64 x2 5000+, I've seen it in so many computer magizenes, but where is it?? I cant find it anywhere. I looked around and saw a site (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060320235451.html) that says that its supposed to have 2mb cache. I dont really care if its another hundered dollars or so then the 4800+ which im planning to buy soon, but I would like to find it. on that site it does say it may be available to some customers. Also If they havnt already made alot of these, are they going to still make them with the am2 processors and mobos coming out?. thanks -Nick

I think it isn't out because the way that AM2 is set up causes the 5000+ to have a memory divider or something, causing decreased performance. It is because of the ddr2 memory. I read something like this somewhere, just a guess though from what i remember.

so do you think waiting around for the 5000+ is a waste of time and I should just get my 4800+ now?? (im building a new computer)

Yes it is a waste of time...If you are going to get an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ make sure it is the AM2 version, not the socket 939 version. Make sure you have compatible DDR2 800 memory and a compatible AM2 motherboard. If you still have a choice, I would go with the new Intel Core 2 Duo processors. They are superior to the Athlon X2's. The Core 2 Duo E6400 destroys the Athlon 64 X2 4800+.

Well sorry to burst your bubble, the E6400 is 259 and is WAY faster, don't screw yourself man! The 939 socket is a dead socket. Do you have a 939 motherboard already? If you do, I understand your position. If you are building a new computer and are choosing 939 and the 4800+, you're setting yourself up for an obsolete ripoff rig.

Another thing, the 5000+ was going to be released on the AM2 socket, they are NEVER going to make a new processor for 939 again. The best processor you can buy for the 939 is the Fx-60...

yea I understand that, but I want to stay with amd. and as far as amd prices go, 939 is still cheaper, unless you can find an amd processor that is am2 equil to the 4800+ then I will go for it, but if not, then I will just probablly stick with the 4800+

Well in that case, stay with AM2 instead of 939, AM2 is still AMD and plus the AM2 processors are cheaper than the 939 processors, funny huh? See for yourself. Whoa...I just realized the 5000+ is out, but it costs 600 bucks. The closest thing to the 4800+ 939 is the 4600+ on AM2...which costs about 50 less and has the same clockspeed...2.4 ghz. Only difference is cache which only matters in encoding. I say you go with the 4600+ AM2, as it is cheaper by about 50 bucks, has the same performance, and the socket is not obsolete.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103751

What ya think?

oh and this is a new computer that Im building, and as of right now I have not have and have not ordered any of the parts yet

Interesting, you make a good point, but are you saying that I wont loose any performance in my gaming/video editing if i go with the 4600+ am2 processor, over the 4800+ 939?

also, in your opinion, which mobo do you think I should get??

this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135024

or this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138033

I wont be using a sli configuration, and the money isnt really that important, but I think im goin to go with the cheaper one (the first one) because I need the two ata ports as well as the sata ports

I guarantee you won't lose performance at all...The thing is that you wont notice a thing in the cache differences, simply because 1mb is optimal for video editing in the Athlon series. The 4600+ AM2 has 2x512 which is equal to 1mb of cache. AMD is actually planning on stopping 2x1mb caches, because it is a waste of money. The 4800+ has 2x1mb, overkill. 1mb (2x512) in the 4600+ is perfect for you...and if you ever need, you will be able to upgrade being that you have the latest socket!

As for motherboards, any Nforce mobo is better than a crossfire mobo because

1. crossfire is buggy
2. nforce is the shining star of motherboards for any AMD socket

The nforce 500 series is not as mature as the nforce 4 series. I suggest you do not pick either of those motherboards, simply cause of the price...plus the 2nd one, the nforce590 one, only has 1 ATA instead of 2 like the one I showed you. Did you see the one I first recommended? It is an Epox nforce 4 mobo just like mine, and mine is rock stable. Plus it is half the price of both of those motherboards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123006

It has 2 ATA ports, and 4 SATA ports...perfect for you.

Plain? HAHAHA. Alright well go for it, the first one seems pretty good too, although I really like the Nforce series. Good luck dude! Any more questions? You know to buy ddr2 800 ram right?

Yes, I know too buy it....... the problem is that I dont have much money left to spend on it. Im pretty sure that I need 2gb, especially for editing and gaming, but I dont want to spend over 200$. Any suggestions?

yea I was looking at this before, but I was kind of worried because it had no reviews. do you think it is worth it?? also they are selling some 1gb for ~180$, is the 2gb still the better deal?

Show me the link on newegg specifically. If you are gonna get 1gb get ones cheaper than 130 bucks otherwise 1gb is a ripoff.

I hope that motherboard you pick is a right choice. I would feel much more comfortable if you chose my choice...hahaha. Find out what type of ram people use with the motherboard you chose, as that is the problem you might face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back