Amd Athlon Fx-57 (Socket939)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillaFx

This processor is advertised at a speed of 2.8 Ghz, and my friend told me its blazing fast. Please shed some light on this because i have purchased this processor for roughly $300. And now i come to realize that my old p4 processor was better... 3.2 Ghz speed. This is only 2.8. =(

The difference is that it's utilizing 2 physical cores, whereas your old P4 had only one. Note that the "performance" rating is much higher than that Pentium you had, and is much faster. It also has more L2 Cache and L1 Cache as well. Not everything is CPU Speed :D !

Because you cannot judge a CPU by clock speed alone. If that were the case both Intel & AMD would be in trouble as their current flagship CPUs are running at 2.93/3.0GHz (Core 2 Duo / Athlon64).

FX 57 is single core, i think you have paid a tad too much, although it performs very well in games. fx 60's are dual core and they can be found on ebay for around 3-4 hundred.

So is a pentium 4 3.2 Ghz processor faster than this? they both have one core. But the pentium is only 70 bucks. lol and this is 300. Could this one core explain why i have such horrible CPU% while using runescape/Java.

The Athlon FX57 is a single core, 2.8 Ghz processor. But it will absolutely destroy the Pentium 4, even if the later runs @ 3.2 Ghz.

Believe me (google it if you don't), the FX57 is much faster than the P4 :)

Regards :wave:

How come on the p4 i get like 30% CPU in runescape and on my new fx57 i get like 100. You think its hardware related or software related.

The problem with runescape is probably software related.

By the way there is no such thing as reformat. You are going to format.
eg. I'm rewalking to the fridge. No I'm walking to the fridge.

Unless you're using it in the perspective "I'm going to format again" "I'm going to re-Format"....if you know what I mean. I would say that the FX-57 is very powerful though. You will get your money's worth out of it :D .

LoL i hope i do cuz this is just not cutting it at all, my friends amd X23800+ out performs my processor in every way and its so much cheaper!!

It shouldn't...since the "F" series is above the "X2" series. I would go and format (back up all your important data ;)...I learned the hard way last week :unch:).

Hi KillaFx,

KillaFx said:
This processor is advertised at a speed of 2.8 Ghz, and my friend told me its blazing fast. Please shed some light on this because i have purchased this processor for roughly $300. And now i come to realize that my old p4 processor was better... 3.2 Ghz speed. This is only 2.8. =(
clock speed doesn't matter unless you're comparing architecturally identical processors. the P4 uses a very different architecture than the A64. there are many factors that determine processor performance, clock speed is only one of them.

your 2.8GHz FX-57 is a faster processor than your 3.4GHz P4, not because of clock speed (obviously), but because of it's architecture.

KillaFx said:
How come on the p4 i get like 30% CPU in runescape and on my new fx57 i get like 100. You think its hardware related or software related.
the CPU is not the only component that matters, and you are not simply comparing two CPU's. you are comparing two completely different systems. each hardware component in the system as well as how the software is setup/configured/fragmented/etc. has an effect on system performance.

:wave:

KillaFx said:
LoL i hope i do cuz this is just not cutting it at all, my friends amd X23800+ out performs my processor in every way and its so much cheaper!!
In every way? Or just in runescape?

KillaFx said:
my friends amd X23800+ out performs my processor in every way and its so much cheaper!!

It shouldn't. I don't think that the game can use two cores (I may be wrong). So a X2 3800+ would perform similar to a A64 3200+. The FX57 is much faster than a 3200+.

Wow so what do you guys think it is?? My unexpensive ram or my software. or like king cody said config? if it is config what settings would i change?
Should i format?
Thanks a million guys i really really appreciate this.!!

I think you should probably (re)format. Get a clean install of Windows (XP or Vista) and see if that makes it better. Don't use Vista unless you don't have XP... Vista is too buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back