Sep 26, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,897   +88

what do you do with your computer?

2. levar

levar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 232

Play games mostly mmorpg's, being able to run handle crysis/sims3 or Left for dead
    I use Photoshop a lot! I multitask a lot. I also run a website so my ftp client is always up. I also convert/encode videos. On my current system the P4 I have here can hardly do any of the following and not freeze or slow down excessively, the CPU usage goes to 100 in no time if I have lets say Photoshop and a converting a video at the same time. Oh I forgot I also do video editing, i guess you could also throw word processing in it, I do have school :rolleyes:

3. Jawshh

Jawshh TS Enthusiast Posts: 438

4. red1776

i kind of thought you were going to say that :). anyway, I would suggest the X3 720, and here is why.

the x4 620 does not have any L3 cache, the x3 720 has a huge 6Mb of L3 cache.
    the x4 620 is clocked @ 2.6 with a locked multiplier and is rather difficult to overclock, and will maybe go as high as 3.1Ghz if you do. this is important because you said you want to run demanding games like crysis. the ability to easily OC the x3 720 a full Ghz paired with the 6MB of L3 cache will out perform the X4 620. well here Steve commented on it as well:

5. red1776

i think though Jawshh, that with all of the multitasking and the PS,video, etc, that just the two cores with the 6Mb of L3 wont make up for missing two cores. for 20 bucks, i think the X3 720 is the better investment. :)

6. Jawshh

Jawshh TS Enthusiast Posts: 438

oh I totally forgot about the X3:dead: .

7. levar

levar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 232

wow thanks for help guys I'll look into this :)

8. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,155   +34

red1776 beat me to it! I have done a lot of research about the x3 720 and I have read nothing but good from sites as well as actual users. It is an excellent budget cpu without budget quality. It is good and solid and it delivers.

Since it is a Phenom II chip look for boards that will take a Phenom II (AM3 boards) and you'll also be able to run DDR3 RAM.

If you are into overclocking some have actually opened the fourth core depending on the motherboard and if you receive an X3 that is doable.

The 620 is also getting some good reviews but for another $20 I say the X3 720.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.