AMD athlon xp3200+ or Intel 3ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I know that the xp 3200+ is only 2.2 ghz but it seems to be the fastest athlonxp+ processor AMD are offering.

Now to my question, Which one should I use in my new computer, the Athlon xp 3200+ or the 3hz intel.

To help you help me, I am looking to use it for gaming.

Thanks all

Tom

I think you mean GHz, Dani_17.

And, I hope your not comparing AMD vs Intel by their clock speeds. Actual clock speeds will vary greatly but does NOT necessarily have to do with performance.

In theory an AMD 3000+ would be the same speed as a Intel 3GHz processor, hence the reason for AMD using the 3000+ PR-rating. (Because the actual clock speeds vary they needed a way to show how the processor "should" measure up to an Intel).

I would go for the 3200+ because obviously 3200+ means AMD is saying the processor should perform like a 3.2GHz Pentium 4.
Also, if you compare the prices it is a no-brainer. You just have to ask yourself "Am I going to pay a LOT more money for a small performance increase" (in most cases your paying about $200 for 5% performance difference). And this performance increase usually depends on what kind of application you are running.

Now if you are rich like some people here are (even though they wont admit it) then it wouldnt matter.

You can't go simply by clock speed - you'll probably get very similary performance from both of these processors. It's really going to come down to personal preference and a thread like this is only likely to spark another AMD vs Intel debate - which we've had plenty of here if you do a search.

cheers, but I have an xp 2000+ at the moment. And, tel me if i'm misunderstanding but, surely that would mean it performs like intels 2ghz, but its only a 1.7ghz processor. Am I getting this right???

Seeing nowbody saw the 3hz - 2000hz joke, i'll now put my opinion.

Go for the XP, its cheaper and hotter. Intel gets expensive in the high performance processors. and in case you wondered, acidosmosis is partialy wrong, the 3000 is not the same as a 3ghz intel cause AMD had problems with the pr rating system and the 3000 is slightly slower than a 3ghz pentium.

Instead of paying more for and intel processor, get the amd and spend the bucks you saved in a gfx card, sound card or whadever-makes-you-feel-good.

it all comes down to your budget and the level of performance you want. there are many ways that can make your pc faster in games than just the processor, so explore those other options as well.

AMD's rating system used to be pretty accurate, but since the Barton came out... It hasn't actually held true in benchmarks.

2600+ or higher are really overrated (according to benchmarks).

If you are looking for the absolute fastest CPU, Pentium 4 is the choice you should make. If you are looking to get the most for your money, then AMD is the obvious choice.

Either one is going to PLENTY fast for anything you'd like to do with it. Just follow your desires and get what's right for your wallet.

This is what I was thinking of, tell me what you guys think

athlon xp3200+
512mb 400mhz ddr ram
128mb fx5200 (until xmas)
xp professional

i will porbally upgrade the ram some time aswell

That sound like a good set up to me, force, but what about the sound card? You may want to consider making some room in your budget for a soundblaster audigy as they have great sound quality and some pretty cool features(mixer, environmental effects, soundfonts,if you like to write music). Of course, you could use on-board sound, but I have found the sound quality is usually not as good as with a soundblaster, IMHO.

balls, forgot to put the sound card in, I had sorted it out. Just a basic creative sound blaster 5.1. BTW, will this card be able to handle surround sound? Thanks for reminding me:grinthumb

Anyway, I think that wraps it up. I will go for the xp 3200+, seeing as I will be running it on 512mb ram and soon a relatively decent gfx.

Cheers all

Tom

the 5.1 means the card can handle 5 speakers to 1 sub. so that will make some sort of surround sound. looks like you'll have a fine setup force.

Throw the fx5200 away and get a radeon 9600. You'll appreciate that. Of course, if your budget permits it.

if you must go for athlon xp, get an nforce2 mobo and ditch the sb live as the integrated sound is better than the audigy and almost as good as the audigy2

Originally posted by XtR-X
Step 1) Buy AMD.
Step 2) Overclock.
Step 3) CPU faster than Intel (for less money).

Step 1) Read Point #2 in this thread.
Step 2) Follow what it says.
Step 3) Have a nice day.

;)

LNCPapa said:
You can't go simply by clock speed - you'll probably get very similary performance from both of these processors. It's really going to come down to personal preference and a thread like this is only likely to spark another AMD vs Intel debate - which we've had plenty of here if you do a search.

if you were building a pc pc from scratch i would choose an amd, mabey its just the shops and website i look at but amd motherboards seem a lot cheaper to me that intel

force said:
Now, I know that the xp 3200+ is only 2.2 ghz but it seems to be the fastest athlonxp+ processor AMD are offering.

Now to my question, Which one should I use in my new computer, the Athlon xp 3200+ or the 3hz intel.

To help you help me, I am looking to use it for gaming.

Thanks all

Tom

if you were building a new pc from scratch i would choose amd, i dont know if its just the sops and websites that iv been lookin at but amd mother boards and processors seem a lot cheaper than intel

Amd athlon xp is old technology why not upgrade to amd athlon 64 3000+ i mean its 64 bit :approve: im still a xp but its because i poor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back