AMD Beema & Mullins Preview: Low Power, High Performance Mobile APUs

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/810-amd-beema-and-mullins-preview/]https://www.techspot.com/article/810-amd-beema-and-mullins-preview/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Interesting but in all x86 vs x64 still Windows 8.1 update 1 on tablet running x64 dual core CPU Intel Atom 1.5GHz, 2 GB DDR3 RAM although what I have here can support 4GB but Atom disable the option. I do have 320 GB SATAII inside. For what it's worth the extra cores in the quad and the price point to buy such a tablet today might put some off until the transparent tablets are ready for production am sure power consumption in those will be less as better tech will be available by then. That's where the money will go if and when they're out.

Intel may be a market share leader in this space, but AMD believes that their next generation chips will be the best.
perhaps a valid statement until the competition cycle begins again. amd would claim top-notch performance and intel will respond with something better and so on and so forth.
(much like the same with gpu: AMD vs Nvidia)

Now thats a sexy laptop! Cant wait to see that lappy's specs, battery life, cost ;D
I think it's a tablet based on this picture.
Mullins-4.jpg

I really hope AMD hang on and keep trying to drive the competition. Good to see they are keeping their options diverse.

"‘Beema' for mainstream laptops, and ‘Mullins' for low power tablets - are set to be strong contenders up against Intel's Bay Trail and low-power Haswell offerings."

Intel, admittedly in several months time, will be moving to Braswell, Cherry Trail and Broadwell
Is AMD shooting in front of, or at a moving target?

I would say in front (quote from the article)...

"31% faster than an Intel Bay Trail-T Z3740 tablet. But GPU is where it really dominated the Bay Trail tablet by a whopping 81% margin on average."

tldr;
"31% faster than an Intel Bay Trail-T Z3740 tablet. But GPU is where it really dominated the Bay Trail tablet by a whopping 81% margin on average."

My only experience with AMD APUs has been that they were terribly slow, like first gen Atom slow but worse. I guess that's why AMD is introducing Beema and Mullins to address the performance problem. They are based of the new Jaguar core that's in the Xbox One and PS4, called Puma+. As seen in TechSpot's and Anandtech's benchmarks it outperforms ARM by a wide margin and stays head of Bay Trail based SoC. And it destroys the competition when it comes to graphics performance.

This is where APU's will really start to shine because the current GPU/CPU options were very limited. AMD's APU's are going to be the best bet for the mobile market especially because the GPU has become more important than the CPU in these areas.

Having a good built in GPU will be the key to unlocking more mobile options and performance.

As long as they can keep the TDP down, it seems like this has real potential. I wonder if the lower memory bandwidth would affect much.

Back